Longhorns pride themselves on defense through six-game win streak

2015-11-14_Womens_Basketball_VS_UTSA_Joshua

Life is good for the Longhorns right now. 

Texas enters the seventh game of its season riding a six-game winning streak, including back-to-back victories over top-10 opponents.

Now, Texas hits the road for the third time this season as it travels to Arkansas to battle Little Rock at 2 p.m. on Sunday. 

In Texas’ last road contest Sunday, it held the then-No. 4 team in the country, Tennessee, to its lowest point total of the season in a 64-53 win. Head coach Karen Aston said the defense was a bright spot in what she called an ugly game.

“Our defense from a team perspective was extremely good, and we stayed disciplined defensively,” Aston said. “The exciting thing is I think we can get a lot better.”

The Texas offense averages 73.7 points per game, but it’s the Texas defense that makes its presence felt early on.

No. 9 Mississippi State brought an offense that scores 93.6 points per game to the Frank Erwin Center on Wednesday night. The Bulldogs left with their first loss of the season while putting up their lowest point total of the season — 47.

Texas averaged 73.7 points per game before Wednesday night’s contest but only needed 53 points to remain undefeated. Aston said the team’s defensive effort was terrific again.

“I thought we had a couple individuals in particular, Empress [Davenport] and Tasia [Foman], that really did a good job defensively,” Aston said.  “I thought that everybody else played smart. We are in a good groove defensively.”

Junior guard Brianna Taylor said the team’s depth is a major reason why the defense is executing so well.

“We have all the people to do what we want to do, how we want to finish this year,” Taylor said. “I think we have those people that can step up.”

Texas will try to use its stout defense to extend its streak to 7–0. The Longhorns beat the Trojans 60–26 in the teams’ last match-up in 2013.