Final: Texas 23 — Baylor 17

FootballvBaylor_endtime_JoshuaGuerra

Update (2:50 p.m.): The Bears exploited Texas’ run defense with eight straight runs on their first second-half drive. Baylor capped the drive with a 20-yard rushing touchdown from sophomore running back Johnny Jefferson to cut Texas’ lead to 20-7.

After forcing a Texas punt, the Bears used eight minutes to drive the ball 82 yards. However, the Bears’ drive stalled in the red zone and sophomore kicker Chris Callahan cut Texas’ lead to 20-10 with a field goal.

The Longhorns failed to convert a fourth down on their ensuing drive, giving the Bears the ball around midfield. Baylor answered with an 8-yard rushing touchdown from junior wide receiver Lynx Hawthorne to cap a nine-play, 61-yard drive.

Texas responded with a field goal on a 12-play, 62-yard drive to extend its lead to 23-17 with 3:59 to play.

With a chance to take the lead, Baylor fumbled on a fourth-down hit by sophomore defensive tackle Poona Ford. The Longhorns recovered and ran the clock down to 1:24 before punting back to the Bears.

Texas broke up back-to-back deep balls in the final 10 seconds to seal the 23-17 victory. The win marks the Longhorns' second win against a top-15 team this season.

Update (1:05 p.m.): The Longhorns set the tone early with a fourth-down stop on Baylor’s opening drive. Texas’ offense answered with a quick three-play, 70-yard touchdown drive to take a 7-0 lead. The score came on a 57-yard pass from junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes to junior tight end Caleb Bluiett.

After holding Baylor to a three-and-out, the Longhorns drove the ball 57 yards on seven plays to set up shop inside the Bears’ 10. However, the drive stalled, and Texas settled for a field goal and a 10-0 lead.

Texas continued to gain momentum when freshman safety P.J. Locke forced a fumble on Baylor's fourth drive. The Longhorns recovered and quickly scored another touchdown on a 9-yard run from Swoopes.

Without starting sophomore quarterback Chris Johnson, Baylor finally put a drive together late in the second quarter. The Bears went 47 yards on nine plays but came away empty-handed as sophomore kicker Chris Callahan missed a 40-yard field goal.

The Longhorns capitalized on Baylor’s miss with a 53-yard field goal from senior kicker Nick Rose. Freshman running back Chris Warren sparked the seven-play, 42-yard scoring drive with a bruising 26-yard run.

The Bears responded with an 11-play, 38-yard drive. However, Callahan missed his second field goal with seconds to play in the half.

Texas entered halftime leading 20-0.

Update (10:30 a.m.): Texas hopes to end its season on a high note against No. 12 Baylor on Saturday in Waco.

The Longhorns face a Bears offense that ranks No. 1 in scoring and No. 1 in total yards. The high-powered unit will test Texas' struggling defense, which gives up 33 points per game on the road. 
Texas will send out junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes for his first start since the team's season-opening loss at Notre Dame. Swoopes leads the team in touchdowns this season with 11. 

Texas hopes to avoid its first eight-loss season since 1956. With a win, the Longhorns can also garner some momentum heading into the offseason.