Canisius at Texas: three things to know

2015-11-14_Womens_Basketball_VS_UTSA_Joshua

Wednesday, 7 p.m., Erwin Center, Longhorn Network, 104.9 FM

1. Canisius (6-2) travels to Austin two days removed from a 57-55 victory over Lamar. The Golden Griffins are riding a six-game winning streak after dropping their first two contests of the season. Canisius sits atop the Metro Atlantic American Conference with wins over two conference foes, St. Peter’s and Rider. Sophomore guard Margret Halfdanardottir from Hafnarfjordur, Iceland, leads the team in scoring at 11.1 points per game. Canisius averages 62.4 points per game compared to Texas’s 73.1.

2. For Texas, senior guard Empress Davenport received Big 12 Player of the Week honors with a career performance in the Longhorns’ 77-69 victory over No. 14 Stanford. Davenport poured in 23 points on 9-of-17 shooting while grabbing six rebounds and hitting 4-of-4 shots from the foul line. Sophomore guard Brooke McCarty and senior guard Celina Rodrigo joined Davenport in double digit scoring figures against Stanford. Head coach Karen Aston said that Texas’s current arsenal of guards is the most confident group she’s coached at Texas. McCarty leads the team in points per game with 12.9.

3. The Golden Griffins do not have a player listed on its roster as a center. The three tallest players — all forwards — stand at 6 feet 1 inch. The Texas centers — senior Imani Boyette and junior Kelsey Lang — stand at 6 feet 7 inches and 6 feet 5 inches, respectively. Texas out-rebounds its opponents by an average of 13.5 rebounds per game. Boyette leads the team with an average of 8.9 rebounds per game. Barring foul trouble, which has plagued her in multiple games thus far, Boyette should find success around the rim against Canisius.