RecSports offers free classes as part of national fitness event

2016-02-15_National_Sports_and+Rec_Day_Juan
Juan Figueroa

RecSports celebrated National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day by offering free classes to the entire campus.

RecSports provided free Texercise and group cycling classes, as well as free chair massages and access to the rock wall located in Gregory Gymnasium. 

Andrea Laguado, who is a second year pharmacy student and has been a Texercise instructor for several years, said the initiative would encourage students to start their own fitness journey.

“This event really allows students to participate in recreational sports and fitness opportunities,” Laguado said. “Usually you have to buy a pass, but by making it free any UT student can try out what RecSports has to offer.”

Laguado said her favorite class to teach is the Nike Training Club (NTC).

“I like NTC a lot, because it has the app to supplement the workout and allows you to efficiently work out at home by yourself but also has the group fitness aspect and the motivation that classes provide,” Laguado said.

Nick Sajatovic, supply chain management and geography junior and activity supervisor at Gregory Gym, said the gym was busier today with people attending the event. Sajatovic said maintaining his health is an important part of his life as well.

“Fitness is definitely important to me because at the end of the day, your health is all you have,” Sajatovic said.

Sajatovic said he enjoys playing sports and running to keep fit.

“I’m an avid runner and recently just got done training and running the Austin marathon,” Sajatovic said. “It was a lot of work, but it was so worth it.”

Psychology junior David Wittkower tried one of the free group fitness classes offered today and said he enjoyed participating and would consider attending classes in the future. 

“I had always been curious about the classes, and I thought it was a lot of fun,” Wittkower said. “It was only 45 minutes, but I’ve already noticed that I’m walking a little slower and feeling a little sore.”

Wittkower said students have to put in the effort to make fitness a priority.

“We trick ourselves into thinking that we don’t have time to work out, but then a friend will tell me ‘Oh, I just spent five hours watching Netflix.” Wittkower said. “Even if you spent one of those hours being active, you would be better off for it.”