Eight local acts to watch

• South By Southwest is known for bringing in bands from around the world, but for an experience that’s a little more local, check out these eight Austin bands.
  •  
  • Jamestown Revival
  • Americana duo Jonathan Clay and Zach Chance met in small-town Magnolia, Texas as a couple of fresh-faced 14-year-olds. After moving to Austin, they decided to turn their friendship into a musical partnership, and the band Jamestown Revival was born. Now SXSW veterans, the twosome will bring a full band with them as they perform songs such as their 2014 single “California (Cast Iron Soul)” and some new tunes for good measure. For more on Jamestown Revival, read our Q&A with the band here.
  •  
  • The Eastern Sea
  • Taking their name from The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Eastern Sea’s acoustic indie rock got a humble start in singer Matt Hines’ bedroom but quickly expanded to include five permanent members, adding keyboards and a trumpet to the mix. As lush as it is
  • understated, their fourth album, The Witness, was released in November, providing new fodder for their live shows.
  •  
  • Moving Panoramas
  • All-female trio Moving Panoramas combine sweet-as-sugar vocals with dreamy instrumentation on their breakout song “One.” Drawing early attention from NPR and the Austin Chronicle, the band puts an Austin spin on influences like Beach House and Best Coast. Catch them at venues such as Sidewinder and ScratcHouse Backyard throughout the week.
  •  
  • Kaleo
  • Icelandic transplants Kaleo moved to the Texas capital only a year ago but have already been adopted as locals. Layering folk and rock with a diverse range of influences, the quartet was a standout at last year’s SXSW and will play Saturday at Waterloo Records’ day party.
  •  
  • Mother Falcon
  • Mother Falcon is just another example that everything really is bigger in Texas. The orchestral rock band often packs their stages with more than a dozen cellists, horn players, keyboardists and woodwind instruments. The spectacle alone is enough reason to check out the band, but their soaring pop melodies make them a can’t-miss. 
  •  
  • Charlie Belle
  • It’s all in the family for Charlie Belle, an indie pop-rock band made up of brother-sister pair Gyasi and Jendayi Bonds. Already SXSW veterans at the ages of 15 and 17, respectively, the duo draws from rock, pop, R&B and rap to create a sound all their own.
  •  
  • Quiet Company 
  • Don’t be fooled by the name, Quiet Company is anything but. Known for a dynamic and high-energy live shows, the native band has been compared to some of indie rock’s greats like Death Cab for Cutie. Fresh off their latest album, Transgressor, released last month, the band will take the stage at Historic Scoot Inn and Palm Door.
  •  
  • Wild Child
  • Bringing together classic pop melodies with attention-getting cello and trumpet parts, seven-piece Wild Child released their first album, Pillow Talk, in 2011. After honing their live act at festivals and tour stops around the country, Wild Child will perform a slew of upbeat pop-rock tunes at this year’s fest.