Longhorns prepare for Maverick challenge

2016-02-26_Texas_vs_Tulsa_Joshua

Rain has been a thorn in the Longhorns’ side this week.

Inclement weather forced Texas to push up its game against UTSA on Tuesday and caused the Longhorns to cancel their Wednesday match with North Texas.

But now, No. 25 Texas gets back to playing in tournaments this weekend when it travels to Arlington for the Maverick Challenge this weekend. Texas will play Samford and UT-Arlington on Friday, and finish with Arizona on Saturday. Arizona is No. 20 in the country while UTA, the host team, is undefeated.

Texas is led by senior center fielder Lindsey Stephens, who has been on fire lately. Since moving to the leadoff position four games ago, Stephens has batted .786 with six runs scored, three doubles, two triples, a HR and six RBIs.

The Longhorns have a rich history against UTA, dominating them over the years with a record of 23-2. They’ve never played Samford and haven’t played Arizona since 2009.

Last year, the Longhorns shut out UTA 8-0, with the mercy rule ending the game in the fifth inning. Sophomore catcher Randel Leahy led the way in that game with a career high three hits, two home runs and 5 RBIs. Prior to that game, Texas had not played the Mavericks since 2011.

However, for the first time in six years and only the sixth time in this matchup, the Mavericks will be playing against Texas on their home field. 

It is also a homecoming of sorts for assistant coach Corrie Hill. She played for and graduated from UTA in 1991, and also started her coaching career with the Mavericks. She helped them to the league crown and was named to the All- Southland Conference first team and all-tournament team in 1989.

The tournament also begins a string of 10-straight road games for Texas.