Big 12 Notebook: Garrido elected to National College Baseball Hall of Fame

2016-03-25_baseball_TCU_Rachel
Rachel Zein

College baseball’s winningest coach finally earned the sport’s highest honor for a head coach. 

Texas skipper Augie Garrido was announced as a 2016 inductee into the National College Baseball Hall of Fame. Garrido, who has an NCAA record of 1,961 wins and 15 College World Series appearances in his coaching career, will join seven  other players and coaches in the 2016 induction class. 

The six-time National Coach of the Year will be officially inducted July 1–2 at a ceremony in Lubbock. 

Cowboys fall back to earth

• After leading the Big 12 after the first full weekend of conference play, the Oklahoma State Cowboys dropped back to third place in the Big 12 after dropping two out of three on the road to the West Virginia Mountaineers. 

The Cowboys dropped the first two games of the series by one run each before rebounding to a decisive 8-1 win in the series finale. 

Freshman right-hander Jensen Elliott tossed a complete game in the finale with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the ninth inning, the only tarnish on his stellar line. The performance was enough to earn Elliott conference pitcher of the week honors.

Gutierrez leads Red Raiders to Big 12 Lead

• Texas Tech’s three-game sweep in Lubbock over the visiting Kansas State Wildcats vaulted the surging Red Raiders to first place in the conference.

Senior first baseman Eric Gutierrez led the Red Raider charge over the weekend, driving in five runs over the three-game set, including four in the second game of a Saturday double header.

Gutierrez’s success at the plate was enough to earn the senior Big 12 Co-Player of the Week Honors. 

The Red Raider hot streak will be given a tough challenge this week. The team’s next five games are all against ranked opponents, and the stretch begins with a two-game midweek road series against No. 4 Florida State. 

Baylor takes two of three versus Kansas

• The Baylor Bears rebounded from a rough 6-1 series opening loss Friday to win the next two games against Kansas and reach the .500 mark in conference play. 

After Friday’s loss, Baylor was able to take the second game 2-1 thanks to a stellar 7.2 inning performance by junior right-hander Drew Tolson, before cruising to a 5-2 victory in the rubber match.

The Bears, who have won five out of their last seven games, now sit in a tie with Texas for the sixth best record in conference at 3-3.