Vice president of student affairs to leave campus after 16 years

Gage Paine, vice president for student affairs, is leaving UT after serving the campus for 16 years.

Named VP in 2012, Paine is the first female to serve in this position at the University. Under this role, Paine managed a diverse group of the University’s non-academic units, including residence halls, dining facilities, recreational sports organizations, medical and mental health care units and over 1,300 student organizations.

Paine is credited with creating BeVocal, the University’s bystander initiative that aims to teach students how to prevent high-risk behavior and harm. She also reimagined New Student Orientation and created many programs on campus that have “garnered state and national attention,” according to an email President Gregory Fenves sent to UT students Tuesday morning.

Paine has worked with the UT System for almost 20 years, serving in student affairs leadership positions at four other Texas universities. Paine will join Keeling & Associates after she leaves the University, where she will serve as a senior consultant, advising campuses nationwide on student affairs.

President Fenves has asked Soncia Reagins-Lilly, Senior Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, to serve as interim vice president while the University looks to fill Paine’s spot.

“As our campus community dealt with the shock and sadness of losing Haruka Weiser last week, Drs. Paine and Reagins-Lilly worked tirelessly behind the scenes to provide care and support for our campus and Haruka’s family,” Fenves said in his email. “I am grateful for the dedication both of these leaders have to UT. The campus will greatly miss Dr. Paine, but I wish her the best in her new endeavor.”

Paine will continue to work at UT until May 31. Reagins-Lilly will begin her interim appointment on June 1.