Fenves makes statement on racially motivated assault

2016-03-29_Cody_SAE_Harassment_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick

President Gregory Fenves said in an email Thursday the University suspended the student who was charged by police in connection to a racially-motivated attack in West Campus.

“I write today to let you know that the student who was charged by police in the attack is no longer on campus,” Fenves said in an email to the University. “I suspended him, and he will not be eligible to return to UT Austin until 2017.”

The announcement comes after the West Campus attack gathered public interest on its final verdict.

On Feb. 20, Cody Young, a mathematics senior, called the police around 7:30 p.m. after three white men threw glass bottles and yelled “fuck you, n—–” at him at the intersection of Leon Street and 25th Street, according to an Austin Police Department arrest affidavit.

Only one of the three men, Tucker Sauer, was identified as a UT student. One, identified only as "Danny," left before police arrived and was not charged. Sauer and Lucas Henderson were both members of the UT chapter of SAE, but were expelled by the fraternity after their charges were made public.

After Young went to the Dean of Students Office, the Daily Texan reported on how his case had not reached a decision through the disciplinary process. University officials have said the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) generally prohibits a university from releasing personally identifiable information about students, which includes disciplinary records.