Students showcase talents at Texas Revue

2016-04-25_Texas_Revue_Carlos
Carlos Garcia

Almost 900 students were in attendance Saturday at Texas Revue 2016, one of the largest talent shows on UT’s campus.

Public relations junior Abby Bollinger worked on the event as the social media publicity officer of the Texas Traditions committee of Campus Events + Entertainment. She said the committee strives to make the campus tradition better each year, and said this year’s Revue was a huge success.

“Texas Revue had been a tradition a long time ago at UT, but the Texas Traditions committee has brought it back and has been putting on the show for about ten years,” said Bollinger. “This year is a little more diverse. We’ve never seen a brass band in the past, and we’ve also never seen a beat boxing and dance group before.”

Bollinger said she was glad Texas Revue was moved back to Hogg Memorial Auditorium this year, since they were not allowed to use the venue last year because
of renovations.

“Last year we were in the ballroom at the Texas Union, which was unfortunate because we couldn’t fit as many people,” Bollinger said. “We had to turn hundreds of students away, but this year we didn’t have to.”

Reshma Ahuja, co-captain of Nach Baliye, a Bollywood fusion dance team at UT, led the group to win the “Best Overall” award and a $1500 cash prize at the show. 

“I love that you can share your passion on stage with thousands of people,” said Ahuja, a management information systems and math junior. “We’ve worked on this routine since September. It takes a lot of dedication, but it’s really our drive for dance that propels us to complete a routine like this.”

The other winners of the night were Punjabbawockeez, an all-male South Asian fusion dance team, who took home the “Crowd Favorite” award, and Nritya
Sangam, an all-female dance team performing the classical Indian dance styles of Bharatnatyam and Kuchipudi, who won the “Technical Excellence” award.

Geography junior Kate Fowler attended Texas Revue and said she loved the show because of the diverse array of acts in the lineup.

“I love how [the show] dabbled in different spectrums of talent: dance, singing, beat boxing, rapping. I thought it was just magnificent,” Fowler said. “This was my first Revue, and it was great. Everyone should see it.”