Matthew McConaughey slated to teach advanced film class in the fall

2014-10-28_UT_vs_IowaSt_Jenna
Jenna VonHofe

Academy Award-winning actor Matthew McConaughey is returning to the 40 Acres this fall to teach an upper-division filmmaking class.

McConaughey, a 1993 graduate of the Moody College of Communication, will act as co-teacher to the class along with “Hunger Games” director Gary Ross and radio-television-film lecturer Scott Rice. Ross and McConaughey will teach students through recorded videos and, according to MySA, there will be “one on-campus visit” from McConaughey.

The class, “Advanced Producing: Script to Screen,” pulls back the curtain on McConaughey and Ross’ latest project “Free State of Jones." Thirty junior and senior students will study the film’s “source material, script, shot lists, storyboards, shooting schedule, VFX, final cut and even exclusive behind the scenes footage,” according to UT’s course catalog.

This is McConaughey’s second class taught in partnership with Rice. According to MySA, UT first offered the advanced class during the spring semester but required students to sign non-disclosure agreements, as “Free State of Jones” had not been released at the time.

While the class is an upper-division course, Lauren Phillips, public affairs representative for the Moody College of Communications, told MySA the three-hour class wouldn’t require special prerequisites or fees.