Fraternity to host second Philanthropy Fair on East Mall

The Asian-interest fraternity Lambda Phi Epsilon will host its second Philanthropy Fair on the East Mall this afternoon, where students can participate in various activities and games organized by more than 15 UT organizations. 

Andy Shaw, management information systems junior, said he came up with the idea in order to instill awareness within the student body for various philanthropies found at UT. 

“Our goal is to inspire students to dedicate their time and efforts towards great causes,” Shaw said. “Through the Philanthropy Fair, we hope to inspire compassion and selflessness, the two biggest attributes needed for philanthropies to be successful.”

Lambda Phi Epsilon members have spent the past year gathering a diverse group of student organizations around campus and reaching out to numerous sponsors in order to receive aid and funding for the event.

However, one of the primary focuses of the fair is to benefit multiple philanthropic causes, especially the Asian American Bone Marrow Donor Program, which the fraternity adopted after one their members passed away from leukemia, unable to find a blood marrow match.

“The Philanthropy Fair provides a great opportunity for organizations to showcase what they represent,” said business sophomore Victor Peng, Lambda Phi Epsilon philanthropy chair. “It also allows participants to learn more about school organizations and that giving back to the community can be an enjoyable way to spend time.”

According to Peng various sponsors, including KIND, Whataburger, Shake Shack, Texas Tea and Raising Cane’s, raised over $10,000 during the summer

The event is free and open to all students, where they will have the chance to win prizes, including food and exclusive event T-shirts.

The Lambdas said they hope to exceed last year’s turnout of 1,000 people attending the event in six hours. They aspire to make the fair the annual signature philanthropic event on campus, bringing opportunities to the UT community while bringing the campus closer together.

“The goal is to get students more involved in joining an organization that could potentially make a positive impact on the world,” said Bao Tran, a health promotion junior and Lambda Phi Epsilon philanthropy chair.

“There is no better warm feeling in the world than knowing you have made a difference in another person’s life,” Tran said.