10 concerts under $10 during ACL week

For those who aren’t trying to break their bank this festival season, here are 10 concerts around Austin that cost $10 or under. 

New Madrid
Friday, Sept. 30 11:55 p.m.
Stubb’s BBQ Indoors. 801 Red River St. 
$10

New Madrid, a southern indie rock band from Athens, Georgia, will perform their April release magnetkingmagnetqueen as part of an ACL Late Night show.

The group, labeled “indie rock with a psychedelic feel” by USA Today, typically use simulations, lights and their instruments to mimic thunder and lightning storms during their performances. 

93.3 KGSR ACL Live
Friday and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Threadgill’s World Headquarters, 301 W. Riverside Dr. 
$5

Alternative radio station 93.3 KGSR will host their annual ACL Live event on the first weekend of the festival. The event starts early in the morning, as bands play while the audience members can enjoy breakfast tacos and Miller Lite drink specials. 

This year, the artists range in a wide variety of both popularity and genre. Friday, artists such as Corinne Bailey Rae, The Strumbellas and Band of Horses will perform, while Saturday’s lineup includes psych-soul band Los Coast, indie-pop band Saint Motel and indie-electric band The Naked and Famous.

The Eggmen
Saturday at 7:00 a.m.
Lee’s Almost by the Lake
801 Pace Bend Road South
Free

Austin’s leading Beatles tribute band, The Eggmen, will perform this week at Lee’s Almost by the Lake. Although it’s a bit of a drive, Lee’s Almost by the Lake doubles as a restaurant, giving attendees a chance to take in dinner and a show.

The Eggmen have been voted Austin’s best cover band by the Austin Chronicle 11 times. 

The Sahara Lounge Africa Night
Saturday at 8:00 p.m.
The Sahara Lounge
1413 Webberville Rd. 
Free

This East Austin live music venue prides itself on their African-themed nights. They bring in local African bands who play for hours while guests listen, dance and eat at the free African buffet. They pride themselves on their diversity of music, foods, drinks and cultures.

The night will open up with afro-jazz band Ibrahim Aminou Kora and latin-rock band Son de Rey. Then the Sahara Lounge’s house band, Zoumountchi, will bring the house down from midnight until 2 a.m. 

Church of the Friendly Ghost: Wheel of the Year
Sunday from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
The Off Center
2211 Hidalgo St. 
$5 – $15

The Church of the Friendly Ghost showcase focuses on providing local artists with opportunities to perform. The Church is a community organization driven to fuel the creative arts.

The activities begin at 4 p.m. as avant-garde band Many Birthdays perform a live score to a of screening the earliest animated movie of all time, “The Adventures of Prince Achmed.” Flutist Kenzie Slottow will end the night at 9:30 p.m., with performances in between from Twigs & Yarn, Sonya Gonzales, Website and Lily Taylor.

Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band
Oct. 6 at 11 p.m.
Stubb’s BBQ Indoors
801 Red River St. 
$10

Brooklyn-based songwriter Kevin Devine will perform an ACL Late Night show this Saturday. The folk rock artist is known for his melodic acoustic songs, and his sometimes political lyrics. 

Devine recently announced his ninth album, Instigator, due for release Oct. 21. 

Grace Mitchell
Oct. 7 at 11:55 p.m.
Stubb’s BBQ Indoors
801 Red River St. 
$7 

Singer-songwriter Grace Mitchell released her most recent album, “Raceday,” last year. Her music covers a variety of genres, from pop to alternative to electronic.

The 19-year-old from Portland, Oregon, draws from empowered, female artists like Alanis Morissette and Lana Del Rey.

Sara Louise
Oct. 8 at 6 p.m.
in.gredients 
2610 Manor Rd.
Free

Louise sings, writes and plays all of her songs on the ukulele, giving her music a comforting, bubbly sound. While she recently made the move to Austin, Louise formerly lived in Baltimore, Maryland where she collaborated with local band Overall Enthusiasm.

Red Bull Sound Select Presents
Oct. 8 at 8 p.m.
Empire Control Room
606 E. 7th St. 
$3 with RSVP, $10 at the door

Red Bull is hosting a late-night hip-hop event, with performers including Canadian hip-hop artist Tory Lanez, Chicago rapper Mick Jenkins and St. Louis rapper Smino. 

Lanez and Jenkins are promoting their most recent albums, “I Told You” and “The Healing Component.” Smino has yet to release a full album, but has made a name for himself for his politically-charged, fast-paced rap style. 

Glenn Rexach Group
Oct. 9 at 9:30 p.m.
The Elephant Room
315 Congress Ave. 
$10 

The Glenn Rexach Group is a self-described “jazz-funk guitar power trio.” Glenn Rexach, the band’s leader, is a professor at the Austin School of Music. 

The group performs a mix of original jazz music and covers including a reimagining of the hymn “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.”