The Daily Texan conducts exit polls at FAC, University Co-op

2016-11-09_Voting_Lines_Angel
Angel Ulloa

The Daily Texan conducted an exit poll of 300 voters at the FAC and University Co-op polling stations on Tuesday.

According to our poll, 74.6 percent of respondents said they voted for Hillary Clinton and 16.6 percent said they voted for Donald Trump; 5.4 percent said they voted for Gary Johnson and 2.4 percent said they voted for Jill Stein. 

Fifty-two point seven percent of respondents were women while 47 percent were men. Of the people who voted for Donald Trump, 30.6 percent were women and 69.4 percent were men. Of the people who voted for Hillary Clinton, 60 percent were women and 40 percent were men. 

Ninety point eight percent of respondents were undergraduate students, with 33.3 percent of the overall respondents as undergraduate freshman. Seventy-four point four percent of respondents said they were first-time voters. 

Nursing freshman Kelsey Bergman said as a first-time voter, she is eager for the chance to express her political values in a way that can make a difference. 

“I think when people see young people exercising their right to vote, it inspires them to vote as well and allows them feel empowered as an American citizen,” Bergman said.

Fourty-seven point nine percent of those who said they voted for Trump said the most important issue to them in this election was the economy, while 48.6 percent of those who said they voted for Clinton said social issues were the most important issue to them in this election.

Twenty percent of the respondents said they would classify themselves as Republicans. Of those, 60.7 percent voted for Trump while 24.6 percent said they cast a ballot
for Clinton.

When asked to rate President Barack Obama’s time in office on a scale of one to five, with one being poor and five signifying excellent, 43.6 percent responded with a score of four, 28.2 percent gave him a five, and 21.8 percent a three. 

Sixty-three point one percent of respondents voted in favor of the mobility bond while 36.9 percent voted against. 

“As someone who’s had to deal with Austin’s lackluster infrastructure my entire life, I see any attempt for improvement as a good thing,” aerospace engineering sophomore Lauren Whitsell said. “Although the tax burden is hard for some to swallow, I see the benefits as outweighing the drawbacks.”