Aston earns 100th Texas win as No. 16 Longhorns cruise past Oklahoma State

2017-01-10_UT_vs_OKState_Emmanuel
Emmanuel Briseño

Karen Aston earned her 100th win as Texas’ head coach Tuesday as the No. 16 Longhorns cruised to a 66-35 victory over Oklahoma State at the Frank Erwin Center.

With the win, Texas moves to 11–4 on the season and 5–0 in conference play for just the fourth time in program history.

After winning the first 10 games of the season, the Cowgirls have lost four of their last six and sit at 2–3 in the Big 12. The Longhorns held Oklahoma State to a season-low 35 points in a relatively low scoring game for both teams.

The Longhorns rattled off 22 points in the first quarter while limiting the Cowgirls to eight in the period. The burnt orange closed out the half strong by holding Oklahoma State to a mere four points in the second quarter.

Junior guard Brooke McCarty led the way for the Longhorns as she connected for a game-high 16 points on 5-11 shooting. McCarty recorded four of Texas’ six three pointers.

Three other Longhorns came close to reaching double-digit points, including a pair of freshman –– forward Joyner Holmes and guard Alecia Sutton –– who each recorded nine points in the winning effort. Holmes also added nine boards and a game-high three blocks for the Longhorns. Sophomore guard Lashann Higgs joined the freshman duo with nine points of her own.

Texas, who extended its winning streak to nine with the victory, outrebounded its opponent for the 13th time this season. The Longhorns edged out the Cowgirls 50-46 on the boards Tuesday night.

The Cowgirls connected on 11-59 from the field for 18.6 percent. Oklahoma State sophomore guard and leading scorer Karli Jensen was the only Cowgirl to score 10-plus points in the matchup. Jensen went 3-19 from the field and 0-3 from three point range.

The Longhorns will face their first ranked conference opponent on Saturday as they travel to Morgantown, West Virginia, to take on the Mountaineers at 3 p.m.