One dead in on-campus stabbing, non-credible bomb threat at Belo

2017-05_02_Stabbing_Chase
Chase Karacostas

Update (5:00 p.m.): The UT Police Department held a press conference this afternoon to update the community on the stabbing that occurred on campus that resulted in one death and three injured. UTPD confirmed the suspect as biology junior Kendrex J. White.

UTPD received reports of an individual assaulting others with a knife on the 200 block of East 21st Street, across the street from Speedway and San Jacinto, at about 1:45 p.m. UTPD had officers on scene within two minutes, Carter said. Between the time UTPD received the call and the time officers arrived on scene, the suspect assaulted three other students.

White was taken into custody almost immediately, Carter said. The stabbing victims were three white males and one Asian male. One victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The victim has not been identified. 

The University official safety alert was not sent to students until 30 minutes after the incident occurred.

Carter said UTPD cannot confirm any social media rumors that have been circulating since the incident, many of which claim the West Campus area, specifically Greek fraternities, are additionally being targeted. Carter said UTPD cannot confirm if any of the victims were fraternity members.

Update (3:26 p.m.): Provost Maurie McInnis announced in an email that all classes and events are cancelled for the day. 

Update (3:12 p.m.): A sign that read "Tution Pays for Bombs" was seen hanging from the Sky Bridge. The sign was quickly taken down. UTPD said the Belo Center is not under lockdown and open. UTPD will hold a press conference at 3:30 p.m. regarding the multiple on-campus incidents. 

Original post: Emergency officials are responding to a stabbing on campus, where one person is dead on the scene.

Austin-Travis County EMS are responding to four injuries on the 200 block of East 21st Street, across the street from Speedway and San Jacinto, according to the Austin Police Department.

The suspect has since been taken into custody, according to the UT Police Department.

The University is asking students to avoid the Jester Center and Perry-Castañeda Library aras until UTPD can ensure safety.

This story will be updated with more information.