Longhorns hope to continue momentum in New Mexico

2018_02_02_track_Mario_Sategna+_Juan
Juan Figueroa

The Longhorns will participate in their fourth meet of the new year in Albuquerque, New Mexico, this weekend. Both the men and the women will be looking to improve on the one combined win they had last week in Lubbock at the Texas Tech Classic.

Despite that, the No. 14 men’s team has reason to be encouraged going into New Mexico. In their last competition, 13 personal records were set, with 12 such records being recorded by competitors in field events. Along with the personal records, three marks were set that make the top 10 list in Texas history.

Freshman standout Adrian “Tripp” Piperi won the shot put at Texas Tech with a distance of 19.83 meters, besting the next closest competitor by over a full meter. His performance was enough to warrant him Big 12 athlete of the week. The recognition is in addition to praise from Texas head coach Mario Sategna.

“It’s going to be really exciting when he gets a chance to peak for conference and nationals. The guy is a competitor,” Sategna said. “He’s going to do some great things. (He) helped raise the bar for all of them.”

Sategna also praised sophomore George Patrick after he posted a Big 12 season-high in the heptathlon.

“I was really pleased with the personal best for George Patrick,” Sategna said. “There is some definite upside.”

On the women’s side, the Longhorns are looking to capitalize on a performance which garnered four personal records and three top 10 program records. The No. 8 women’s team had several top-10 finishes in Lubbock. Seniors Lauren Caldwell and Pedrya Seymour each had third-place finishes in the weight throw and 60-meter hurdles, respectively. Caldwell posted a throw with a distance of 18.48 meters, a personal best, while Seymour posted a time of 8.18 seconds.

Along with the impressive showing from their upperclassmen, the Longhorns had solid performances from several freshmen. Tamea McKelvy finished in fifth place in the 60-meter dash, and Megan Rourke finished in fourth place in her first 800-meter race at the collegiate level.

One of the biggest things the Longhorns will be looking forward to this weekend is continuing their hot streak. Texas has been chasing a Big 12 title since its last one in 2014.

With every competition comes another opportunity to get into championship form. In order to return to peak condition, the Longhorns will look for a complete team effort in order to win events in Albuquerque.