Former New York Times editor to serve as new UT Journalism School director

KathleenMcElroy
Courtesy of Kathleen McElroy

The UT School of Journalism has appointed Associate Director Kathleen McElroy, a former editor at The New York Times, as its new director starting June 1.

McElroy has 30 years of experience working as a professional journalist. Her experiences include being the Times’s associate managing editor, dining editor, deputy sports editor and deputy editor of the website. She also worked for the Austin American-Statesman and the Bryan-College Station Eagle in Texas.

“Dr. McElroy brings extensive experience as an internationally respected journalism professional with instructional and scholarly expertise crucial for today’s rapidly evolving journalism education,” Jay Bernhardt, dean of the Moody College of Communication, said in a news release.

McElroy is currently the school’s associate director and a senior lecturer. She received her PhD from the School of Journalism in 2014 and received awards for her research while earning her doctorate.

McElroy said she will continue the work of R.B. Brenner, the school’s departing director, while also improving outreach to the community.

“The current challenge of journalism education is to train communicators to be technologically nimble but steadfast in seeking and reporting truth,” McElroy said in a statement. “We not only want to grow the next great crop of journalists and communication leaders, but also want to help inform the public and help them seek knowledge.”

Brenner will be returning to teach and lead journalism projects at Stanford University’s journalism school, where he spent time as a deputy director before serving as UT’s journalism school director in 2014.