Men and women fine-tune ahead of conference championships

Track2018-03-25_Texas_Relays_Carlos
Carlos Garcia

Distance competition lives up to hype as Longhorns pick up several wins

Texas assistant track coach Brad Herbster could only describe it as “the greatest collegiate 1,500 ever.”

At the Bryan Clay Invitational, distance runners freshman Sam Worley and junior Alex Rogers became a part of history, running in a group of 21 runners that broke the meet and facility record at the Invitational. Numerous records were shattered in the run, including three runners breaking the all-time NCAA record.

“Those times were incredible and to have two Longhorns with Sam Worley and Alex Rogers in the mix is exciting,” Herbster said. “Their races today have me so excited for the Big 12 Championships in three weeks.”

At Mt. SAC relays, John Rice broke his personal record in the 5,000 by nearly 50 seconds, putting up a time that places as the No. 5 Longhorn all-time. While he finished 22nd, the mark he put up against stiff competition was just what the team was looking for.

“We came out here to these meets so we could face really tough competition and see where we stand,” Herbster said. “I couldn’t be happier with their performances and times. Even those who didn’t run a new personal best this week we’re still in there fighting. This trip was everything we wanted it to be to get our distance crew ready for
Big 12s.”

At Baylor’s Michael Johnson Invitational, wins came from several areas for the Longhorns. Freshman Tripp Piperi won his third meet of the season in shot put, while senior Fabian Dohmann picked up his third win in javelin.

From each of the four meets the team traveled to, personal bests and victories across the board display the team’s form that’s rounding into shape as the Big 12 Championships loom just two weeks away.

Longhorns disperse to four locations with the same goal

Distance runners went the distance this weekend in California at the Bryan Clay Invitational and Mt. SAC Relays. Junior Gabby Crank, who won the Reuben McDaniel Award on Wednesday, represented well of Friday. She came in sixth in the 800-meter dash.

The day before, Crank’s teammate, redshirt freshman Skyler Bollinger, competed in the 3000-meter steeplechase just south of her at the Mt. SAC Relays. Her time of 10:51.12 was the fourth-highest in Texas history. Bollinger’s time also puts in the upper echelon of Big 12 runners.

Sprinters competed across the country on the LSU campus. Sophomore Rushelle Burton and senior Pedrya Seymour continued their excellent season by coming in first and third in the 100-meter hurdles, respectively.

Senior Ariel Jones realized that with the conference championships coming up, her time had to improve. On Saturday, she set a season’s best in the 400-meter hurdles. Her time of 57.92 seconds earned her fourth place.

Senior Georgia Wahl also competed in Louisiana and finished with a huge road performance. Her jump of 6.16 meters gained her a personal best and a third place finish in the long jump. She also jumped her way into the top three in the Big 12 standings, setting her up for a successful conference championship.

In Waco, the pole vaulters were on top of their game. Senior Kally Long and junior Shay Petty replicated the hurdler’s success by coming in first and third, respectively. With the win and her mark of 4.18 meters, Long joined Petty in the top five of the Big 12.

Despite being spread around the country, the women’s track and field team performed with the one common goal of preparing for the conference championships.