Part Two: Hyde and go seek out some of Hyde Park’s best stops for meals, snacks

Hyde_1019_JebMilling%28hydepark%29
Jeb Milling

With Victorian homes shaded by decades-old trees, Austin’s Hyde Park already looks the part of an idyllic hideaway. 

Not only does the neighborhood have the look, it’s full of quaint, wholesome businesses offering both healthy meals and sweet snacks — plus arts and culture to keep your spirit steady. When you need to reset and refuel close to campus, consider these stops just north of the 40 Acres in one of Austin’s oldest neighborhoods.

NeWorlDeli is the perfect respite from the fast-moving world of the Drag and West Campus, with hot soup and a Velvet Underground-type soundtrack to add to the experience. 

“We try to create a family atmosphere here,” NeWorlDeli kitchen manager Zach Maynard said. “It’s a relaxed place where folks can hang out and enjoy good food.”

NeWorlDeli’s kitchen focuses on buying local and organic ingredients as the season and market prices allow. Its menu offers deli fare-like soups, sandwiches and salads, as well as coffee and desserts. The menu has a special vegetarian section and gluten-free options as well. 

“(Hyde Park) is an area in which it’s easy to live healthy because it’s so walkable or bikeable, and getting good clean food is easy. But at the same time, you can pick up a sweet treat,” Maynard said. 

After a delicious and nutritious fuel up at NeWorlDeli, brush up your cultural health with a visit to Mondo Gallery, within strolling distance of NeWorlDeli.

The gallery, which is affiliated with Alamo Drafthouse, has temporary exhibits open to the public for free as well as gallery events featuring live music and collaborations with local restaurants.

“We collaborate on the events with Austin Beer Works, Austin Eastciders — businesses like that,” said Josh Curry, Mondo Gallery and Events manager. “Currently, our exhibition features Marvel artwork, so we had a Marvel dress-up night recently. There was coffee from Tiny House and pastries from Zucchini Kill. It’s a lot of local people coming together to put on these events, and it’s a great time.”

A few blocks north in a nearly hundred year old building is Blue Moon Glassworks, a stained glass workshop that works to fill life with pretty little things and peaceful moments. For 14 years, Blue Moon has offered glassworks, supplies and classes to the community.

Terry Mothersole, a six-year Blue Moon employee, has been creating stained glass for 40 years, and after a career at IBM, decided to make it her main pursuit.  

“I decided to do this work because when people come in here, it’s a feel good feeling,” Mothersole said. “We want people to destress in here and feel welcome.”

Owners Rose and Jim Berry hope to continue Blue Moon’s legacy of strong community.

“Our building was originally a grocery store that was built in the late 1920s,” Jim said. “The family opened it during the Depression to fill the need in this neighborhood. This building represents a history of community and people supporting one another. We hope to carry that mentality on.” 

These businesses and others nearby are what give Hyde Park its unique happy-healthy character. If you find yourself lacking on health and happiness, these business and this neighborhood are your one stop shop.