9 of 11 Austin propositions pass, including entirety of billion dollar bond

Stock6
Rena Li

Early voters approved nine of the 11 City of Austin bonds on the ballot in the midterm elections. Seven of the bonds, put together by City Council, totaled $925 million. The bonds will be paid for by a $5 increase in monthly taxes for most homeowners, said Austin Mayor Steve Adler last month.

Proposition A

Prop A passed with 73 percent of voters’ approval. will dedicate $250 million towards building and maintaining affordable housing for low-income residents.

Proposition B

Seventy-four percent of voters’ supported Proposition B, which allocates $128 million to improve and acquire additional property for libraries, museums and cultural arts facilities.

Proposition C

Prop C passed with 81 percent of voters supporting the $149 million bond for improving parks and recreation centers.

Proposition D

Eighty-four percent of voters favored Proposition D to give $184 million to flood mitigation, water quality protection and storm-water drainage improvements.

Proposition E

Prop E, in favor of putting $16 million toward improving the health and human services center in Southeast Austin, passed with 71 percent approval of voters.

Proposition F

Eighty-two percent of voters approved Proposition F to give $38 million to Emergency Medical Services facilities and fire station improvements.

Proposition G

Prop G, which gives $160 million for rebuilding and improving transportation infrastructure, passed with 82 percent of voters’ approval.

Proposition H

Sixty-seven percent of voters approved Proposition H, which will amend the city charter to provide term limits and a removal process for the Planning Commission members.

Proposition I

Prop I had 74 percent of voters support to make grammatical and typographical corrections to the City Charter.

Proposition J

Voters killed the last two propositions, with 52 percent against Proposition J, which was called for in a citizen-led petition and would require a waiting period of up to three years followed by voter approval for any rewrite of the city’s land development code.

Proposition K

Prop K, which asked the city to hire a third-party consultant to assess the city’s operation and fiscal performance and was also called for in a citizen-led petition, was defeated with 58 percent voting against.