Former editor seeks greener pastures

Juan_30_Rachel
Rachel Zein

I first joined The Daily Texan the spring semester of my freshman year in an attempt to cure the depression I was feeling. Although my time at the Texan has been a whirlwind of emotions, I couldn’t imagine the past years without it.

Taking photos of my cat Kesha was the only experience I had in photo when I applied to the Texan. In just one semester, then-editor Rachel taught me more about photojournalism than any of my classes have. I’m so grateful to have you as a friend, and I cannot wait to see what you do next.

Maria, thank you for procrastinating with me and for putting up with my mood swings. I will always cherish the time we spent pulling all-nighters in the basement. I’m happy I got to play a small part in what will be your great journalism career. Your genuine passion for people is going to take you far.

What does the water have in El Paso? Angel and Carlos, y’all are amazing people and I’m so happy the Texan led me to y’all. Angel, thank you for being there for me this semester and please come sleep on my couch soon.

Katie and Brooke, my southern belles, y’all embody everything I adore about Texas. Y’all are sweet and caring, and I’m going to miss hearing Brooke’s accent. Angela, it’s been amazing watching you grow. Also, Josh, Zoe, Cano and everyone else who came before me, your guidance helped motivate me to be my best.

And for Pete I’m so thankful. Even though they were hard to take sometimes, your critiques and knowledge have helped me develop a much better eye. Also, I’m sorry that you witnessed me twerk for Maria, lol.

There’s no better way to experience UT than at the Texan. My time in photo has given me so many opportunities that I will never forgot. Of all the cool things I did at the Texan, nothing mattered more than just meeting people and telling their stories.

To those that are still in photo and that will come next, I hope y’all realize the importance of documenting our history. I look forward to seeing what photo does next!

But after many semesters, it’s with a heavy heart that I’ve decided to leave, and when a horse wants to run, there ain’t no sense in closing the gate.