Watch live: We’re hosting a conversation with the Texas Legislature’s LGBTQ Caucus

Malú Gonzalez

In previous years, the Texas House of Representatives had anywhere from zero to two openly LGBTQ members. This year, there are five.

Join The Daily Texan in person or on a livestream for a panel discussion with four of the five women who formed the first LGBTQ caucus the state has ever seen. We’ll discuss their goal as the first LGBTQ caucus, their experiences, their strategic agenda, and issues they seek to advance.

Caucus chairwoman Mary Gonzalez, a Democrat from Clint, represents House District 75 in the Texas House of Representatives. Gonzalez serves on the Appropriations Committee, the Public Education Committee, is Vice Chair of the Mexican American Legislative Caucus.

State Rep. Julie Johnson represents House District 115 in Dallas County. Johnson serves on House Insurance and Judiciary & Civil Jurisprudence Committees, and is a former Human Rights Campaign national board member.

Erin Zwiener, a Democrat from Driftwood, is an author, educator and conservationist who is serving her first term representing House District 45. She's committed to fighting for Texas values of healthy communities, inclusivity and common sense government, and is also a three-time Jeopardy! Champion.

Jessica Gonzalez, a Democrat from Dallas, is currently serving her first term as State Representative for District 104. In the Texas House of Representatives, she has dedicated her time to reforming our criminal justice system, expanding voting rights and fighting for affordable housing.

Tune in here at 4:30 p.m. to watch the conversation unfold live: