First-gen, low income students often work twice as hard for college admission. What’s your story?

Juan_Vero-3 (1)
Juan Figueroa

• "First-Gen UT" is a year-long, collaborative series that shares the stories of first-generation Longhorns.
  • Stories are published in partnership with The Daily Texan and the UT chapters of NABJ, NAHJ, AAJA and NLGJA.

Are you a first-generation, undocumented or low-income student? Tell us your story.

The national college admissions scandal has revealed the lengths — illegal ones included — and money some individuals will pay and undergo for admission into top universities. But first-generation students — whose parents never graduated from college — and low-income and undocumented students also undergo extraordinary lengths to get a college degree.

These students often have to navigate the complex college admissions and financial aid process on their own. They often work multiple jobs, on top of going into debt, to pay for college.

The Daily Texan wants to highlight these students’ stories. Fill out the form below if you want to share your own college story, and we'll reach out to you as soon as possible. If you're a student journalist and you'd like to help share these students' stories, scroll down and fill out the form near the bottom of this callout.

Want to read some our past stories on first-generation or undocumented students? Check out or work below.

Over the last year, we’ve been sharing the stories of UT’s first-generation Longhorns in partnership with the UT chapters of the National Association of Black Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Asian American Journalists Association and the National Lesbian Gay Journalists Association. Here are some of the stories we've produced so far: Meet VeroAlamgir and Eveling.

If you're a member of any of our partner chapters of NABJ, NAHJ, AAJA or NLGJA and you'd like to share stories from first-gen and low-income students on campus, fill out our form below.