UT students, professors use podcasts as form of expression

podcast_2019-05-03_Student_Podcasters_JP
JP Hite

Touching on topics from news to nutrition, podcasts provide an experience that can be both entertaining and educational. 

Although podcasts used to be a practice left to professionals, it is quickly becoming a medium used by celebrities and influencers. With public posting sites and accessible equipment, nearly anyone can create their own podcast. This trend reaches UT’s campus, with students, professors and Austinites recording their own.

Corporate communications junior Jordan Marget recently started his own podcast called “What’s With That?” in which he interviews his friends and other students on topics of interest. In his first podcast, Marget interviewed junior marketing major Cassie Guardiola about her involvement and interest in the pro-life movement, as well as her dating life.

“I’m so busy with school and work that I don’t do anything for myself and so I thought, ‘Why don’t I just create something?’” Marget said. “I’ll make a podcast where I interview friends about their passions and interests and call it ‘What’s With That?’” 

Biology senior Caitlyn Caminade said listening to podcasts is part of her daily routine.

“Sometimes I prefer (podcasts) to music because with music, you kind of tune out,” Caminade said. ”With podcasts, you can keep engaged and keep thinking about something.”

Caminade said she listens to both celebrity and student podcasts because she finds the ability to hear people’s stories and to look into their lives interesting.

“They all have something to say,” Caminade said. “They felt convicted enough to go through this process and present their opinion in a way that is intended for audiences.”

Although starting a podcast may sound like something that anyone could take on, journalism graduate student Kelsey Whipple said there are several key components a successful podcast needs. Whipple is a teaching assistant in the School of Journalism and will go on to teach Audio Storytelling in fall 2019.

“I try to help students in my class talk about why this should be a podcast,” Whipple said, “Then (explore) how we can make it well suited for audio and what’s unique about that and (ask) how is it different from other podcasts.” 

In order to create a successful podcast, Whipple said that the most important part is a good story.

“You have to have a good story, and then you have to have compelling audio,” Whipple said. “It really helps when you have a good personality and good planning.” 

Marget said he uses quality audio equipment for free when renting the Digital Media Lab Radio Room at the CMA building on campus. He said he is grateful for accessible audio and editing equipment, as well as the abundance of students and friends he can use for interviews. 

“I think everyone has really interesting stories, perspectives and interests,”  Marget said. “I just want people’s opinions and anecdotes to be heard. ”

Marget said he likes to use podcasts as a form of expression because it eliminates material factors such as his appearance.

“I thought a podcast would be the most pure way to carry a message without interpreting it in a shallow way,” Marget said. “Podcast is the best medium because it only carries the message.”