APD responds to aggravated assault suspect with “machete-like knife” in West Campus

JWG_0020
Joshua Guenther

Update 5:43: 

At 5:24 p.m., UTPD said in a tweet that the suspect is no longer believed to be in the immediate area, and APD is still investigating.

The Austin Police Department responded to an aggravated assault at the intersection of 23rd and San Antonio streets, according to a campuswide text sent by the UT Police Department.

UTPD said in a tweet that the situation was active and asked students to steer clear of the area. Authorities are on the scene searching for the suspect, according to an email sent at about 4:50 p.m. from UTPD.

The suspect is approximately 20 years old, has blonde hair and is armed with a machete-like knife, according to a campuswide text sent by UTPD at around 4:30 p.m. One man was transported to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening, according to a tweet from APD.

Both the suspect and the victim are not UT-affiliated, according to a tweet from UTPD.

According to a tweet from APD, the call came in to APD at around 4:03 p.m. 

APD is actively investigating the incident, according to a campuswide email from UTPD. UTPD also asked students in a tweet to call 911 for any signs of suspicious activity around the area.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.