UT-Austin canceling classes, closing operations March 13

2016-07-10_Tower_Emmanuel
Emmanuel Briseño

Editor’s note: This story is part of The Daily Texan’s coverage of how coronavirus concerns are affecting UT-Austin. Read the rest of our coverage here.

9:20 a.m. update: The University shuttle system announced UT buses will stop services on Friday at 10:30 a.m. based on UT’s closure. Normal Capital Metro buses will operate on their regular schedule, the UT shuttle system said.

All UT-Austin operations and classes will be closed on Friday, March 13, according to an official tweet from the University early Friday morning.

Following a Friday morning press conference detailing information about the first two presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Travis County, UT-Austin tweeted at 6:38 a.m. to disregard a previous tweet from 3:50 a.m. stating Friday classes would continue.

“Given the rapidly evolving situation, we now believe it is in the best interest of the campus community to close,” the University said in the tweet.

The University said only “essential personnel” should work Friday.

The City of Austin confirmed the first two presumptive positive cases early Friday morning in a press release. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a case is considered presumptive positive when a test is ruled positive by a local lab and confirmed when a CDC lab then confirms the test as positive.

This story has been updated to clarify the definition of presumptive positive.