Chadwick Boseman’s films: where to watch them, what they meant to Black UT students

Courtesy_WaltDisneyCo
Courtesy of Walt Disney Co.

Chadwick Boseman, an actor best known for his role as Marvel’s Black Panther, died Friday after a four-year battle with colon cancer. Boseman also played icons such as baseball legend Jackie Robinson, singer James Brown and civil rights lawyer Thurgood Marshall.  

Business management junior PJ Chukwurah said “Black Panther” was especially impactful to him. He said the film gave members of the Black community a chance to see themselves on screen in a way they never had. 

“I’m Black and Nigerian, so seeing a movie about a superhero based on African culture was so surreal,” Chukwurah said. “It left me feeling inspired and motivated because I saw myself in a big Marvel movie, and a lot of Black boys and girls don’t get to see themselves in a role like that. That just shows the impact Chadwick had.”

In memory of the Hollywood hero, The Daily Texan compiled a list of some of Boseman's biggest films and where to watch them. 

Netflix 

Da 5 Bloods

Released on Netflix on June 12, Spike Lee’s latest film is a war drama following a group of Vietnam War veterans. The group returns to the country to find the remains of their fallen squad leader Stormin’ Norman (Boseman) and treasure they buried during the war.

Message From the King 

This revenge-thriller follows Jacob King (Boseman) as he travels from Cape Town, South Africa, to Los Angeles, California — first in search of his sister, then to avenge her after he learns she is dead. 

Disney+

Black Panther 

Based on the Marvel Comics character, Boseman took on the now-iconic role of Black Panther in the 2018 film of the same name. After the death of his father, T’Challa (Boseman) becomes king and the warrior Black Panther, who must protect Wakanda from the outside world. 

Captain America: Civil War

The 2016 Marvel film sees Captain American (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) go head to head, each joined by a team of their fellow heroes, with Boseman appearing as the Black Panther for the first time to back Iron Man. 

Avengers: Infinity War 

Released the same year as “Black Panther,” the first of the two-part culminating Avengers film sees King T’Challa (Boseman) help the Avengers as they try to stop Thanos from collecting all six Infinity Stones and wipe out half of all life in the universe. 

Avengers: Endgame 

In the final Avengers film, the remaining heroes rally together to reverse the damage done by Thanos. Just when they think all hope is lost, a portal opens, and Black Panther (Boseman), General Okoye (Danai Gurira) and Shuri (Letitia Wright) emerge in one of the most dramatic returns in modern movie history. 

HBO Max, Amazon Prime 

Get on Up 

The musical biopic centers around the life and career of James Brown (Boseman), also known as the “Godfather of Soul.” Brown’s style of music and dance influenced many genres for decades after his death. 

Showtime 

21 Bridges

In this action thriller, Boseman stars as a New York Police Department detective who must shut down all of Manhattan’s 21 bridges to locate two cop killers. 

Amazon Prime 

42 

This biographical sports film revolves around the racial integration of American professional baseball by star player Jackie Robinson (Boseman). During the entirety of his Major League career, Robinson wore the number 42 on his Brooklyn Dodgers jersey. 

Marshall

The 2017 legal drama stars Boseman as the history-making civil rights lawyer and first African American Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall as he navigates one of his first cases, State of Connecticut v. Joseph Spell.