As you prepare to vote this November, here’s what you need to know

Untitled_Artwork-7
Audrey Williams

Voting is an essential part of the democratic process, so it is alarming that voter turnout in Texas is among the worst in the nation. This year, the challenge of voting in Texas is compounded by COVID-19. A little planning can help you exercise your right to vote.

Make sure your registration is current. 

If you still need to register, we are one of the only 10 states that does not have online  registration. Go to texas.turbovote.org to print or have the form mailed. Do this now, because Texas has the earliest possible registration deadline of Oct. 5.

Registered voters, make sure your registration is current. Many students don’t realize that states maintain voter lists by removing invalid or inactive registrations. Brian Kemp, former Georgia Secretary of State and current governor, was widely criticized for canceling over 1.4 million inactive voter registrations. Here in Texas, former Secretary of State David Whitley attempted to purge over 90,000 voters from the rolls in 2019, but was stopped by a federal court. We can debate whether these efforts were partisan or not, but voters can protect themselves against being wrongfully purged by checking their registration.

You can check your registration at https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do. Your friends and family with older registrations could use a reminder to check as well.

Make a plan to vote. 

Do you know when and where you’ll vote? Texas has closed more polling places than any other state in the South. In total, 750 locations have shut down since 2012. Fewer polling options and locations lead to longer lines and fewer voters. Furthermore, Texas politicians have refused to expand access to mail-in voting despite its proven effectiveness at increasing voter turnout. We are one of only six states that does not allow people to vote by mail due to COVID-19 concerns. 

For many of us, the best option is to vote early. Early voting starts Tuesday, Oct. 13, and ends Friday, Oct. 30, though dates and hours vary by location. Go to votetexas.gov to check for information about your polling location and hours. Early voting can mean shorter lines and a safer environment. If you’re voting on Election Day (Nov. 3), get there early or plan to stay late. If you’re in line when the polls close, stay there. Election workers have to give a ballot to everyone in line.

More tips: 

1. Bring identification. Driver’s licenses are most common. See https://lwvaustin.org/texas-voter-id-rules/ for other options.

•  

• 2. Phones aren’t allowed in the voting booth, so print your notes out.

•  

• 3. Don’t wear political shirts.

•  

• 4. If your name isn’t on the list of registered voters, request a provisional ballot.

Finally, when you make your plan to vote, take a moment to reflect on your reasons. Some of us vote to honor those who fought for our rights, some vote to support policies they are passionate about. If you have a voting plan and a clear sense of why you’re voting, you are ready to take part in the 2020 elections. 

Bethany Albertson is an associate professor in the Department of Government, and her research assistants are government and history junior Jack Maedgen and human dimensions of organizations senior Emily O’Toole.