Men’s golf places 2nd at Colonial College Invitational in Fort Worth

2017-04-15_Texas_Shootout_Golf_Stephanie
Stephanie Martinez-Arndt

The Texas men’s golf team proved dominant as it took second place at the Colonial Collegiate Invitational on Tuesday.

The Longhorns made the trip to Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas, to compete in their first tournament of the 2020-21 season. All 10 Big 12 teams competed from Sept. 28-29, with Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech emerging as front-runners heading into Day 2 of the tournament.

The Colonial Collegiate Invitational takes the place of the Nike Collegiate Invitational this season in a schedule that’s four tournaments long instead of five.

Texas trailed just behind first-place Oklahoma on the leaderboard entering Day 2 with an overall score of 561 after 36 holes. Sophomore Travis Vick led the Longhorns and tied for the individual lead with Kansas’ Harry Hillier. Vick, who shot a 1-under 139 and put up an impressive 2-under 68 during his first round of the season, looked to secure the lead going into the last 18 holes of the tournament. Junior Pierceson Coody contributed to Texas’ second-place finish with a score of 140. Coody had an opening round of 66 strokes and birdied four of his first five holes.

Vick and Coody were followed by junior Parker Coody, graduate student Hunter Ostrom, senior Christoffer Bring and junior Cole Hammer. Parker, Pierceson’s twin, tied individually for 15th after shooting 143, followed by Ostrom and Bring, who each shot 147 on Day 1. Bring came back from an opening 79 to post a 2-under 68 in his second round.

The Longhorns finished the second and final day of the invitational with an overall score of 841, behind  Oklahoma by six shots. Pierceson held his place from Day 1 of Colonial and tied for second with Oklahoma’s Quade Cummins and Harry Hillier from Kansas. Pierceson shot a 1-under 69 in his third and final round of the tournament to lead the team. Parker followed close behind his brother and placed fifth individually as Texas’ second-highest individual performer. Parker shot a 3-under 67 in his third and best round to finish off his season debut.

Following the Coody twins was Vick, who dropped from the first-place lead he established on Day 1. Vick shot 72 strokes in his third and final round and tied for sixth place with Kansas’ Ben Sigel. Bring placed fourth among the Longhorns and 27th overall in the tournament with a final score of 219, shooting 72 on his final round. Ostrom’s third round mirrored his second round of play with 76 strokes, and Hammer’s third round proved his best as he shot 72 strokes. Ostrom tied for 34th overall and Hammer placed 44th overall.

Oklahoma finished Day 2 as it did Day 1 –– in first place. Texas took second place, followed by Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU. 

The Texas men will face off again with Colonial’s attendees at the Big 12 Match Play Tournament in Hockley, Texas, on Oct. 2, when they will strive to secure a first-place finish.