UHD seeks student feedback on what dining locations to bring to Texas Union, Student Activity Center

1124_UHDStudentSurvey_MeganClarke
Megan Clarke

The fate of the on-campus Starbucks and Panda Express rests partially in the hands of students, whose feedback on a survey will help determine campus dining options next semester.

Aramark Educational Services of Texas, the company that previously operated all dining locations within the Texas Union and William C. Powers Student Activity Center, canceled its contract with the University effective Dec. 21, said David Anthony, director of business services for University Unions.

Now, University Housing and Dining will take over operations and negotiate contracts with new and old dining locations, Anthony said. UHD released a student feedback survey last Nov. 18 to gauge what students would like to see as food options, price ranges and times of day students would frequently visit. The survey closes Dec. 4.

“What we’re looking at for January, when students return, is making sure that we have continuity for food service with a minimum, the coffee service and espresso service with expanded grab-and-go offerings,” Anthony said. “(Options) depend on student feedback through this survey, … and it also depends on brand licensing agreements that the University has to negotiate.”

Anthony said coffee services will be provided next semester even without a company brand contracted to the University. He said students will come to the same location and will generally have the same menu to choose from. All dining locations will also accept Dine In Dollars, he said.

Political communication junior Cat Mouer said she wants some of the typical fast-food chain restaurants replaced with local Austin stores.

“We have two Chick-fil-As on campus, and there’s a Chick-fil-A on (Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard). How many Chick-fil-As do we need?” Mouer said. “Especially because I think the corporation doesn’t necessarily represent a lot of the student values.”

The one dining location Mouer said she would hate to see go is her longtime source of comfort since high school: Steak ‘n Shake.

“If I knew it was gonna be a rough day, or I didn’t get a lot of sleep, I would just pop in, get it really quickly … and enjoy a bit of peace and quiet,” Mouer said. “I don’t know that there’s anywhere else on campus that I would go to in the same way that I would go there.”

Annanya Chaturvedi, a psychology and international relations and global studies senior, said she wants to see an expansion of vegetarian and vegan options. 

“There’s only so many days of the week that you can eat a salad,” Chaturvedi said. “Zen basically has boiled vegetables, which are not very appetizing, and Chick-fil-A has fries for vegetarians. That’s not a viable lunch or dinner option.”

Chaturvedi said she would most like to see Taco Bell brought on campus.

“You can substitute beans for anything,” Chaturvedi said. “It’s really vegan and vegetarian friendly, and I know people might not think of Taco Bell like that, but it’s true and super cheap.”