Professors, release your textbook lists earlier

CiaraCasarez_textbooklists
Ciara Casarez

Textbooks are a routinely expensive aspect of university life. On average, UT estimates that a full-time undergraduate student will spend over $700 on just “books and supplies” for the 2020-2021 academic year.

To alleviate the burden of paying for textbooks, students often seek financial aid from government entities. Although requirements for claiming financial aid may vary between organizations, some agencies require that students submit textbook lists for prior authorization before approving the release of funds.

Professors, I urge you to publish required reading lists with the University Co-op earlier so that eligible students may claim their financial aid.

Jackson Paul, an undeclared freshman in the McCombs School of Business who is legally blind, receives financial aid for textbooks from the Texas Workforce Commission, a state agency that provides financial support to students with disabilities.

“By the (Texas Workforce Commission) deadline, none of my professors had the book lists published on the Co-op website … or the syllabus,” Paul said. “I tried emailing after the deadline to see if there was any way to extend it, but they said, ‘Sorry, no.’”

Consequently, he was forced to pay for the full cost of textbooks for the spring 2021 semester.

Agencies such as the Texas Workforce Commission provide need-based accommodations for students, and eligible students often rely on the funds to alleviate the financial burden of pursuing a higher education. Although professors are understandably busy with their teaching responsibilities, releasing textbook lists earlier must still be a priority.

“I don’t think it’s fair to expect professors to finalize book lists months in advance, but having professors submit book lists even a week or two before classes begin would benefit students like me,” Paul explained.  

Marjorie Woods, a professor in the Department of English, expressed concern over meeting the priority date for submitting textbooks. She said she typically submits her required readings list six weeks before the semester begins, but this falls after the Co-op’s deadline.

Although some professors are hesitant to rely on its services, the Co-op efficiently compiles and distributes textbook lists to students.

In an email, Michael Kiely, director of course materials at the Co-op, explained that the deadline is often months before the start of classes so that the Co-op can buy back books from students.

While it would be ideal for professors to meet the priority date, this is sometimes not feasible. However, the Co-op still accepts book list submissions past the deadline, and professors should strive to release book lists early enough to help students who need prior authorization for financial aid.

Woods also said some professors avoid the Co-op out of concerns that it sets higher prices than other sources. 

While these concerns are understandable, professors should still use the Co-op’s services as a means to distribute textbook information to students.

Kiely’s email corroborates Woods’ assertion and assures professors who are worried about cost that students do not have to buy textbooks through the Co-op.

“The past two semesters, approximately 70% of faculty responded to our request for course material information,” Kiely said. “Students can order from the Co-op … but we do display the (textbook) information … and other online companies that have those (products).”

The Co-op is a useful but underutilized resource that professors should take advantage of. It bridges the communication gap between professors and students by allowing professors to distribute course information without individually reaching out to students.

Professors, help your students who rely on financial aid pay for textbooks, and submit book lists to the Co-op at least a few weeks before the semester starts.

Tran is a Plan II Honors and English freshman from Houston, Texas.