7 Resources for All Women on Campus

Hanaa Irfan

Editor’s Note: This story first appeared in The Daily Texan’s March 9 print edition.

From former First Ladies of the United States to billion-dollar jewelry companies, the women of UT have long served as empowering role models for current students to look up to. UT has since expanded its resources to promote the excellence, health, and well-being of the over 20,000 female students who now attend.

March is Women’s History Month, and The Daily Texan has curated a list of resources for female students to support their health and success.

Gender and Sexuality Center 

If you are looking for an inclusive and supportive community of women, UT’s Gender and Sexuality Center offers many events for targeted communities, such as Finding Our Voice: Women of Color Discussion Group.

Looking for something a bit more casual? The Center also hosts Feminist Friday, an informal weekly meeting to discuss intersectional feminism topics with guest speakers, student led discussions, art-making and more. Feminist Friday meets every Friday from 2-3 p.m. over Zoom.

University Health Services Women’s Health Clinic

Located on the third floor of the Student Services Building, UT’s Women’s Health Clinic offers routine annual wellness exams, contraception advice, STI testing and treatment, care for menstrual concerns, and much more.

The clinic is staffed with certified nurse practitioners and registered nurses who treat all students who identify as women.

You can make an appointment online or by calling 512-475-8242.

Fearless Leadership Institute 

The Fearless Leadership Institute is designed to advance the personal development of African American women and Latinas. They offer an annual leadership retreat, mentorship program and one-on-one advising to promote academic excellence and professional development.

To get involved, hop on one of the Institute’s Weekly Interest Groups, hosted every Monday from 5-6 p.m. over Zoom. Tune into their podcast, “The FLI Girls.”

Womxn’s Resource Agency 

The Womxn’s Resource Agency, run by Student Government, promotes inclusivity, intersectionality and feminism by connecting women to campus resources such as on-campus reflection spaces and Family Life Services.

Their Menstrual Products Initiative aims to pass legislation to provide free menstrual products around campus, and their Domestic Dating Violence Campaign provides victims of dating violence with resources.

Lactation/Quiet Rooms

Available for use by students, faculty and staff who are nursing mothers, Lactation Quiet Rooms are available throughout campus. The rooms promote a balance between school and family life for nursing mothers who may need to breastfeed or rest.

Lactation/Quiet Rooms are located in the William C. Powers, Jr. Student Activity Center; the Physics, Math, & Astronomy Building; the Perry-Castañeda Library; McCombs School of Business and other buildings.

Title IX Office

Title IX protects students, faculty, staff and more from sex discrimination, sexual assault, interpersonal violence, stalking or discrimination at UT. The office’s website includes a link to report incidents and puts students in contact with resources and professionals to speak to.

The Title IX Office at UT also provides leadership training pertaining to policies, process and prevention.

Counseling and Mental Health Center

The CMHC offers a variety of virtual support groups, such as Queer and Questioning Women’s Support Group and Black Girl Magic: Black Women and Non-Binary Students Coping Creatively.