Texas men’s golf defends home turf in George Hannon Invitational

2015-02-20_Golf_Practice_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Texas men’s golf couldn’t have asked for an easier travel schedule over the last two weeks.

The Longhorns have traveled less than 100 miles from the Forty Acres for each of their last two meets at the Tournament Players Club in San Antonio and at the University of Texas Golf Club, but the results have varied drastically.

After struggling in its last meet in San Antonio, Texas was able to fully exploit its home-field advantage in the two-day George Hannon Invitational and take home its first first-place team finish of the spring season with a composite 17-under par. The Longhorns finished eight strokes ahead of Big 12 rivals Oklahoma and Texas Tech, who tied for second in team play.

Junior Pierceson Coody, fresh off a disappointing 17th-place individual finish in his last meet, topped the individual leaderboard with an 11-under par performance for his first victory of his career. Junior Cole Hammer tied for third with 5-under par.

Texas trailed Oklahoma by two shots after the first two rounds Monday, thanks largely to hot performances from Coody and sophomore Mason Nome. Coody shot 8-under par, including eight birdies, in Monday’s performance, and Nome shot 3-under. Both sat in the top five through the first day of competition.

Hammer shot even through the first day and tied for 14th, and junior Parker Coody’s 2-over par tied him for 24th at the end of the day. Graduate student Hunter Ostrom shot 3-over to tie for 30th.

However, Texas quickly seized the home-course momentum in the second and final day of competition. 

Coody shot a 3-under 68 in the final round to claim his first collegiate victory, although Hammer and Nome finished close behind. Hammer’s fifth-place finish marked his best finish of the season, and Nome finished eighth at 3-under par. Sophomores Will Thomson and Travis Vick tied for ninth at 1-under par, completing Texas’ dominance of its home tournament.

But the Longhorns will be waiting a while for another home-field advantage — or even a friendly travel schedule. Texas will return to competition this weekend when it travels to Tucson, Arizona, for the National Invitational Tournament at Omni Tucson National Golf Club before traveling to Florida in early April.

The Longhorns will return to the state of Texas for the Aggie Invitational in College Station on April 9.