Expand COVID-19 pass/fail exceptions to include summer semester

CarlyPhoon_passfail
Carly Phoon

This year, summer will be the transition between an academic year marked by remote learning and a “near normal fall.” Even as we hope to return to normality, however, we must remember that the COVID-19 pandemic is not yet over.

The current COVID-19 pass/fail policy allows students to take up to three courses on a pass/fail basis over the fall 2020 and spring 2021 semesters and still fulfill degree requirements. Unfortunately, this policy will not extend to the summer semester.

In order to support students as they balance academics with the challenges of the ongoing pandemic, UT must expand COVID-19 pass/fail exceptions to include the summer 2021 session.

Kathleen Harrison, communications manager for the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, explained UT’s current plans for the policy in an email.

“At this time, there are no plans to extend the policy into the summer,” Harrison wrote. “Students still have the ability to choose a standard pass/fail grade mode in Summer 2021.”

While the standard pass/fail option requires that students use that course for elective credit, courses taken COVID-19 pass/fail may be used to fulfill degree requirements. As such, the COVID-19 pass/fail policy allows students to still progress with their degrees. 

Students may take courses during the summer to reduce the number of hours taken in an academic year. This allows students the flexibility to pursue additional degrees, participate in internships, and work.

Unfortunately, limiting students to the standard pass/fail policy can negate the benefits of taking degree requirements during the summer since those courses will have to be taken again during the academic year if the policy is used. As such, this policy fails to support struggling students.

Megan Rogers, an applied learning and development freshman who is earning her business minor through the McCombs Summer Institute, described her experience learning during a pandemic.

“(COVID-19) socially isolates you and makes it difficult to stay (academically) motivated,” Rogers said.

From social isolation to excessive screen time, learning virtually during a pandemic has impacted the mental health of many students. 

Students should not be punished with an inflexible policy because they are too emotionally and mentally exhausted to fully prioritize academics. It is too soon to return to normal and pretend the fatigue students feel will disappear when the spring semester ends.

In the last two weeks, over 52,000 new coronavirus cases have been reported, a low not seen since October 2020. While this decrease in cases is attributed to vaccines and has raised hopes that the pandemic will end soon, immunity through vaccines is most effective if herd immunity of 75% to 90% of the population is met.

Rogers expressed that some of her peers are concerned about the safety of the vaccine.

“I have heard from some of my other acquaintances that they’re afraid the vaccines will have negative effects, either in the future or very soon,” Rogers said.

Unfortunately, a University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll indicates about 28% of Texans share these fears and will refuse the vaccine if it becomes available to them.

While public education campaigns may eventually convince people of the safety and efficacy of vaccines, these efforts take time. We cannot rely on vaccines to resolve the pandemic completely by the summer.

As students strive to reach their academic goals and achieve their degrees at UT, the global COVID-19 pandemic will remain a steadfast obstacle.

Students must be supported and treated with empathy during these challenging times, and that involves expanding the COVID-19 pass/fail exceptions to include the summer semester.

Tran is a Plan II and English freshman from Houston, Texas