DC photo editor pictures new happy ending

Blaine Young

Honestly, I never thought I would get my graceful exit. My final curtain call. I started at the Texan almost four years ago with big dreams and an open heart. I found my passion for photojournalism here. Three semesters into the photo department, I thought I had it made.

When I had everything I wanted, everything went wrong. By the time the pandemic started, I had lost my job, almost all my friends and my peers’ respect. In this way, the pandemic was a saving grace for me. It forced me to take a break. I spent over a year questioning what I wanted to do next. I thought the Texan would be a permanent stain on my memories.

Then I found out Myah Taylor was going to be the fall 2021 managing editor. Myah talked to me over the summer about the changes she wanted to make at the Texan. She made me feel like this was a place I could come back to. Maybe I could turn my bad memories into new, better ones, and finally bow out with grace. And that’s what I did.

Being your Double Coverage photo editor this semester has been one of the highlights of my college career. I’m back where I belong in this dusty basement, producing a paper. I’m finally getting the ending I worked so hard for, with a 30 column to match. Here’s to everyone who works better with support rather than under pressure.

I wouldn’t have gotten here without the help of many amazing people I met along the way.

I want to thank the spring 2019 photo editor, Katie Bauer, for hiring me that first semester. It was the spark that started the flame. Josh Guenther, who taught me so much on our Tuesday editing nights. He is a great mentor, photographer and person to be around. Josh, I really can’t thank you enough for your kindness and friendship, both while we worked together at the Texan and after.

Thanks to Myah, I literally wouldn’t be here without you.

Thanks to Nathan and Matthew, y’all made football games so much more enjoyable. And to the rest of the Double Coverage team, especially Kaitlyn and Jenny. College football will never be the same to me.

Thanks to the entire fall 2021 photo department. It was such a pleasure getting to know y’all. And to the p-staff: Connor, Hannah, Julius and Kara, your company in the photo corner was always appreciated.

A big thanks to our photo editor, Jack. Thank you for giving me the opportunity I needed this semester to show what I can do. Thank you for being my counterpart on the football field. And thank you for your friendship.

Lastly, I want to thank my girlfriend, who I met at a Daily Texan party almost three and a half years ago. Laura, I couldn’t have done any of this without all your support and love.