LARTS associate editor finally writes about something besides music

Morgan-Taylor Thomas

I’m not sure why I initially hesitated to try out for the Texan. I could blame 18-year-old me for being naive or thinking I lacked skill. Whatever the reason — I’m sure it had to have been fair … right?

I’m not sure why I hesitated to start this column either. I mean, it’s all I’ve been talking about for the last month, yet here I am at 3 a.m. the day it’s due trying to explain how all the memories and friendships I’ve made are worth so much more than the 21,000+ words I’ve produced.

Fiza Kuzhiyil, you’ve done nothing but amaze me the last two years. You’re one of the hardest working people I know and encourage me every day to be a better editor, writer and friend. Progressing up the chain of command with you has been nothing short of pure fun. This semester would’ve been brutal without your basement bubble blowing sessions, late night hangs, and, of course, our 6-day apocalypse survival trial at ACL. Your wit and stellar leadership skills will stay with me, and I can’t wait to open the Texan one day and see your name in a management position.

Zoe Tzanis, thanks for always making my job easier, but beyond that, thanks for being my rock this semester. I couldn’t have done it without you, truly. Despite working in LARTS, your lack of knowledge about pop culture references keeps me sane. I hope you’re prepared for unsolicited daily texts about whatever is happening in my life, because there’s no one else I’d rather ramble aimlessly to than you.

Noah Levine, thanks for putting up with my lack of film knowledge. You’re the true Pumpkin King and I can’t wait to see you one day walking the red carpet.

Carolyn Parmer, Caroline Culberson and Reya Mosby, hard work beats talent any day. Your courage to use personal experiences to tell community stories is inspiring. I’ve loved watching you grow this semester, and I hope your unique styles continue to produce some of the best stories this department has to offer.

To the entire LARTS department, I’ve littered this column with the same dead verbs I’ve yelled at you about all semester. I expect verb-total-texts from all of you.

Aisling Ayers and Lauren Castro, you may not see this, but thanks for taking a chance on my passion for music journalism. You gave me the opportunity I needed to find the heartbeat of my career and became great friends along the way. Much love to you both.

This paper has been a crucial part of who I am the last two years, and I can’t imagine my life without it.

But here I go.