Longhorns in the NFL: Tucker makes history and other things in Week 3

Payne Williams, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the October 1 Double Coverage flipbook.

Texas football alums showed up and showed out Sunday across the league. For longstanding Texas fans, Longhorns are proud to flaunt the burnt orange after Baltimore Ravens kicker and Texas great Justin Tucker recorded the longest field goal in NFL history on a game-winning score.

Justin Tucker

In one of the most exciting weeks of regular season football of recent memory, Justin Tucker stole the show.

Week 3 featured four games that came down to the wire with game-winning field goals, but Tucker was all the talk after his historic game. In a nail-biting finish, the veteran NFL kicker knocked down the game winner to put the Ravens ahead of the Detroit Lions, and he did so in record-setting fashion. Tucker’s kick between the goal posts set the record for the longest field goal in NFL history. As if the record-breaking, game-winning field goal could not have been any more theatrical, the 66-yard field goal flew through the air, nailed the crossbar of the goal post and bounced through the uprights as the play clock hit triple zeros. As arguably one of the greatest NFL kickers of all-time, Tucker solidified his status as such on Sunday and his all but certain induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Brandon Jones

Miami Dolphins safety Brandon Jones spent his Sunday in the Las Vegas Raiders’ backfield. The former Longhorn is making his impact in an already loaded Miami secondary, finishing as the Dolphins’ fourth leading tackler with 14 total tackles. Two explosive sacks highlighted Jones’ performance, and his instincts and athleticism played a crucial role for Miami as the team took a potential AFC title contender to overtime. Unfortunately for Jones and the Dolphins, they were on the receiving end of a game-winning field goal from Raiders’ Daniel Carlson to send them back to Miami with their second straight loss.

Caden Sterns

Playing another vital role in one of the league’s best defenses on Sunday was Denver Broncos rookie Caden Sterns. The Texas alumnus made the most of his involvement in the Broncos’ shutout win over the New York Jets by picking off the 2021 NFL Draft’s second overall pick, Zach Wilson. Sterns sealed the game with an interception from Jets receiver Braxton Barrios and a minute to go. The rookie safety put the nail in the coffin on an impressive win in Week 3. Sterns’ early production has only added to a Broncos defense that has led the team to a 3–0 start, the franchise’s first since 2016.

Malcolm Brown

Another Texas football product made their presence known in Sunday’s matchup between the Miami Dolphins and Las Vegas Raiders. Dolphins running back Malcolm Brown displayed patience and vision as he broke loose for a 24-yard touchdown to put Miami up 14-0 late in the first quarter. Brown is averaging four yards per carry on 17 carries through the first three weeks, but the former Texas running back is making plays when the opportunity presents itself. Originally signed as a free agent to the then-St. Louis Rams in 2015, Brown rushed for over 400 yards and five touchdowns in 2020, bringing experience to a young Miami offense.