Longhorns in NFL Week 11

Payne Williams, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the November 23 Double Coverage flipbook.

Marquise Goodwin

On what seemed to be a game-winning touchdown, Chicago Bears wide receiver Marquise Goodwin burst for an electric touchdown late in the fourth quarter against the Baltimore Ravens. With 11 yards to go on fourth down and less than two minutes remaining, the game came down to one play.  The Olympian and former Texas star found himself wide open near the sideline, and after securing the pass, used his speed to take it all the way to the endzone to put the Bears up 13-9 over one of the AFC’s best. However, Baltimore responded quickly with a game-winning touchdown drive capped off by an extra point from fellow Longhorn Justin Tucker. While Goodwin isn’t a top receiving option for the Bears, his speed makes him a threat at every point in the game, which was on full display Sunday.

Brandon Jones

Brandon Jones has been feasting in opponents’ backfields all season, and this week was no different as the Miami Dolphins matched up against the New York Jets. Early in the second quarter, the former Texas safety and current Dolphin came rocketing off the edge and sacked Jets quarterback Joe Flacco. The hit jarred the ball loose, allowing it to fall into the hands of Jones’ teammate, Christian Wilkins. The turnover helped Miami in its 24-17 victory over New York as the Dolphins moved to a 4–7 record on the season. In addition to the forced fumble, Jones finished second for the Dolphins in tackles as he continued to display his ability to rush off the edge and make big plays.

Colt McCoy

In his third consecutive start, Arizona Cardinals quarterback Colt McCoy put together a winning performance against the Seattle Seahawks. The Texas legend was nearly flawless in the first half with 177 yards and two touchdowns, both of which went to tight end Zach Ertz. For the first time since 2014, McCoy eclipsed 300 yards through the air. McCoy has made the best of his time on the field, leading the Cardinals to a 2–1 record since Kyler Murray’s injury. The veteran is continuing to show why backup quarterbacks are so important in the NFL as he gives Texas fans at least one thing to be proud of this fall.

Lil’Jordan Humphrey

Saints receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey secured his first career touchdown this weekend. The former Longhorn went over an Eagles defender in the corner of the endzone for a last-minute score. The Saints fell in lopsided fashion to Philadelphia, but Humphrey took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself. Humphrey has an opportunity to solidify himself as a viable receiving option for the Saints while New Orleans star wide receiver Michael Thomas is out for the season.