Freshman forward Jaylon Tyson enters transfer portal

Christina Huang, Sports Reporter

Jaylon Tyson, freshman forward for Texas men’s basketball, entered the transfer portal Monday, a Texas Athletics spokesperson said.

Tyson averaged 1.8 points and 6.9 minutes over eight games during his time at Texas.

The Plano product was originally committed to Texas Tech the fall of his senior year of high school, but flipped to Texas after head coach Chris Beard decided to coach for the Longhorns.

“It has always been my dream to play for Coach Beard,” Tyson said on Twitter in April. “When I started getting recruited by high major schools, Coach (Beard) saw something in me that I didn’t see in myself.”

A four-star recruit coming out of high school, the 6-foot-7-inch forward scored 11 points against Houston Baptist back on Nov. 9 but had not seen much playing time since then.

“We have big, big plans for Jaylon; certainly a long-term future. It’s easy to see how special he could be. But there’s a major opportunity for him on this year’s team too. And he will have the chance to compete for playing time this year as well,” Beard said at a Nov. 4 media availability.

Tyson’s departure comes right before Texas’ final nonconference game Dec. 28 against Incarnate Word. Conference play for the Longhorns begins Jan. 1 at home against the West Virginia Mountaineers.