Zilker Summer Musical returns to Zilker Park with ‘Newsies’

Kara Hawley

UT students Evan Carlson and Jackson Froelich are cast members of Zilker Hillside Theater’s production of Newsies. Newsies is the first Zilker Summer Musical held in the park since the onset of the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Ava Motes, Life and Arts Reporter

Editor’s note: This article first appeared in the July 12, 2022 flipbook.

The sun sets over the Zilker Hillside Theater on July 8, casting shadows over newsboy stands lining the stage. The crowd holds their breath from their blankets and lawn chairs as Laura Powell, a Zilker Theatre Productions volunteer, steps up to the microphone.

“Hello Hillside, we’re back,” Powell said, pumping her fist in the air. “Welcome to ‘Newsies.’” 

The crowd erupted into applause, excited to kick off the opening night of the first Zilker Summer Musical held in the park since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This summer’s production of “Newsies” marks the restoration of the Zilker Summer Musical — a free outdoor musical theatre series that has been hosted in Zilker Park each summer since 1959. The musical, which tells the true story of the Newsboys’ Strike of 1899, is known for its unifying message and flashy, intricate dance numbers. This year, the Zilker Summer Musical features two UT students in the dance-heavy musical full of heart, following a ragtag group of charismatic young boys and men who take on some of the biggest names in New York.

“We hope to reach the audiences that did not have any ability to see this type of work over the past few years,” “Newsies” director Joey Banks said. “For a lot of Austinites, the Zilker Summer Musical has been the only experience they have with theater, and because we do it (in the park), we can pack thousands of people every night.”

Because the show is free this year, Banks said he hopes the accessible and inclusive nature of this production will draw a bigger audience.

Although the Zilker Summer Musical is an annual production, it bills new actors every season. One fresh face in the cast is Evan Carlson, a dance senior at UT who plays Albert and doubles as the show’s dance captain. Carlson said he was excited to join the show’s storytelling tradition. 

“If there is anyone who is seeing their first musical on a stage, this will be a good one because of the energy level that’s maintained throughout the entire show,” Carlson said. “I’ve never done a show in an outdoor theater before. Without having an actual roof and walls, (that energy) is not contained. It’s a new experience, but it’s definitely fun.”

Fellow cast member Jackson Froelich, an acting sophomore, plays Mush in “Newsies” and said the show is a strong selection, not only for its energy but underlying inspirational themes.

“(‘Newsies’) was the first musical that I saw and resonated with,” Froelich said. “I was so excited by it (and) by the fact that guys were doing theater, dancing. If it can impact me like that, the impact it’s going to have on the rest of the people in this community is going to be even more special. It’s about people coming together in hard circumstances. It shows that in solidarity you will triumph.”

Banks said he directed the show with this optimistic message in mind, but he also prioritized historically accurate storytelling by including more female newsies in the cast, one of which is Jilly Nickens, who said she was excited to inspire audiences with her portrayal of a female newsie, Splasher.

“I love that this production of the show is focusing on the girls who were working right at the turn of the century,” Nickens said. “We’re able to empower younger people. I hope (audiences) can take away the idea that change can come from anywhere. It can be easy to overlook people, but (our) generation is the voice for the future.”