Incoming men’s basketball freshman Arterio Morris arrested for assault

Jonathan Sherchand

Texas fans await the start of the final men’s basketball game at the Frank Erwin Center.

Christina Huang and Hope Unger

Content Warning: This story contains descriptions of domestic violence.

Incoming Texas men’s basketball freshman Arterio Morris — the nation’s top-ranked point guard in the 2022 recruiting class — was arrested in early June and charged with misdemeanor assault against his ex-girlfriend. 

According to the arrest affidavit, Officers Kyle Marks and Matthew Bell responded to a domestic disturbance call at about 5:30 p.m. on June 2 in Frisco, Texas. 

Morris told officers he lived near his ex-girlfriend Caden Barnes’ house and arrived at the residence at approximately 5 p.m. The arrest report said Barnes’ sister let Morris in the house. 

Barnes told Bell that she broke up with Morris the day before. She said Morris also showed up at her job later that same day. 

Barnes said her sister let him in the house on June 2 because she wasn’t aware of the breakup. 

Morris and Barnes both told officers that Barnes was asleep when Morris entered the room. Morris initially said there was no physical contact or threat between the two and that he was surprised Barnes called the police on him.

Barnes told police that she did not want to speak with Morris. She said he then grabbed her left forearm and pulled her off the bed. Barnes told officers that Morris also grabbed her by the front of her sports bra, which she said caused the strap on the right side to rub against her neck and cause an injury. 

Marks said there was an approximately 3-inch-long abrasion on the right side of Barnes’ neck. Marks returned to Morris and told him they were given a statement that there was physical contact between them. Morris then changed his original statement. 

Morris then said he grabbed her bra “incidentally” when he pulled the blanket off of her. He told Marks he was trying to get her to have a conversation with him, but she continued to ignore him by remaining half asleep in bed. 

Barnes told an officer that they were both standing in an open area when Morris grabbed her sports bra, according to the arrest report.

Morris was put under arrest for assault causing injury to a family member, which includes dating relationships in Texas. He was released from jail on June 3 after posting a $3,500 bond, according to Denton County Jail records. 

According to a deleted Instagram post from Barnes, Morris’ mother and high school coach called her to convince her to drop the charges to protect Morris’ career. 

In a statement given to The Daily Texan, Texas Athletics acknowledged Morris’ current situation. 

“We were made aware of the allegations involving Arterio Morris and provided all information we had regarding this situation that occurred outside of the City of Austin to our campus Title IX office,” the statement said. “We will continue to closely monitor the situation and cooperate with the University and legal process, which remains ongoing.”

A Texas Athletics spokesperson said Morris is not currently suspended from the team. 

Morris announced his commitment to Texas in July 2021. A five-star recruit, he chose Texas over Memphis, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas and others. Out of Kimball High School in Dallas, Morris is a McDonald’s All-American and is ranked 17th in the 2022 ESPN 100.