No. 9 Texas men’s golf opens season at the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational

Joshua Guenther

Travis Vick swings at the ball during a 2019 game.

Bo Espey, Sports Reporter

The defending national champion No. 9 Texas men’s golf team finished in 10th place to start off the 2022-23 season this weekend at the OFCC/Fighting Illini Invitational at Olympia Fields Country Club (North Course) in Illinois. 

There were 15 teams in the field, including 10 ranked in the Bushnell/Golfweek Division I Coaches poll. Texas’ lineup included seniors Travis Vick and Mason Nome along with the collegiate debuts of freshmen Christiaan Maas, Jacob Sosa and Keaton Vo. The Longhorns finished the invitational in seventh place last year.

The Longhorns struggled out of the gates, placing 14th after the opening round with a total team score of 292. Vick, who has been named to the Fred Haskins Award preseason watch list, led the way after posting an even-par 70, tying for 13th place.

On day two, Texas jumped up to 12th place as the team finished with a score of 287. Maas was the highest placing Longhorn of the day, in 28th place after scoring a 72. Sosa and Nome also carded 72. Vo had the largest leap in success, posting a 71 after shooting a 79 the day before.

In the third and final round, Maas continued his impressive debut by posting a 70 after making four birdies, which earned him a tie for 20th place with a total score of 214. Sosa and Vick finished the weekend tied for 31st with scores of 216. Sosa improved two strokes each round, culminating with a 70 on Sunday. Nome finished tied for 47th with a score of 220 and Vo finished tied for 64th with a score of 225.

No.15 Stanford finished first for the team title after posting a total score of 831 over the course of the three days. Texas ended the weekend in 10th with a final score of 862. 

The Longhorns will look to improve on their performance when they travel to Fort Worth for the Ben Hogan Collegiate Invitational on Oct. 3 and 4.