UT student earns national honor in business, entrepreneurship

Courtesy of Arthur Blake

Arthur Blake celebrates his Hispanic Heritage Foundation Youth Award on White House grounds.

Logan Dubel, General Life & Arts Reporter

Gleaming faces filled the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. last week as the Hispanic Heritage Foundation celebrated UT student Arthur Blake, the winner of the organization’s 2022 National Youth Award for Business and Entrepreneurship. 

Blake, a business freshman from Lake Travis, applied for the honor as a high school senior after receiving encouragement from his calculus teacher. Out of over 30,000 applicants, he earned one of 300 regional awards as the gold medalist for Texas and Oklahoma. Blake then moved on to the national level for consideration, receiving the top honor in his category and becoming one of just ten winners. 

During the COVID-19 lockdown, Blake and his best friend launched a nonprofit, Snkr Truck, designed to provide shoes to Austin residents in need. This eye for charitable yet innovative work guided Blake’s application for the award, he said. In addition to his project, Blake rose through the ranks of business organization DECA throughout high school, even earning international recognition for his work. 

Now a freshman at UT, Blake said his passion for business remains unwavering. 

Blake’s mother, Zulay, who immigrated to America in 1981 from Venezuela to attend American University, said she feels pride for her son as he represents his community on a national stage. 

“I’m extremely proud of him being an American-Venezuelan and representing Hispanics, his amazing understanding of business and his drive to give back to the community,” Zulay said. “My whole family is proud of him because we’ve all indirectly been in the mindset of business and entrepreneurship. … He is a natural, and business is in his blood.” 

Blake joins the 23rd class of youth award recipients from the Hispanic Heritage Foundation. Nicolás Peña, the foundation’s communications and programs specialist, met Blake in Washington and said the UT student made an impression with his drive and leadership-oriented mindset. 

“All of the winners are selected because they have something to offer—not for themselves, but for the country or for their generation,” Peña said. “In Washington, Arthur was thinking like a leader, and he was giving ideas. That’s what we are looking for in our youth. … We’re grateful for having him as a part of our network now.” 

Blake’s four-day trip to Washington included special access to the White House grounds and visits to the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery. The program included opportunities for award winners to openly discuss their stories and issues important to them before an audience of prominent Hispanic White House officials. 

Blake said his favorite moment came at the end of his trip, as his mom accompanied him to the awards ceremony at the Kennedy Center. The evening celebrated Hispanic pride, with additional awards handed out to community changemakers. Blake also managed to snap a photo with Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona, and Blake said he felt deeply impacted after getting to meet and talk to someone in a position of such prominence and power who shared his Hispanic identity. 

After returning from this experience, Blake said he came back with a new understanding of his community and his purpose. 

“I hope to set an example for other Hispanic students in the community. I have a newfound passion for my Hispanic background after going to Washington to receive this award,” Blake said. “I want to help make an impact on my Hispanic community.” 

Amid his busy schedule, Blake said he still made time to grab several souvenirs to remember his trip, to serve as a celebration of his past accomplishments as he looks forward to a lifelong career. 

“I will be able to look back and say that this award really solidified my business journey and gave me a jumpstart with connections and inspiration from mentors,” Blake said. “I know I’ll be able to look back and pinpoint this award as the big start to my career.”