Dayglow’s newest album gives into repetition, excels at relatability

Fiza Kuzhiyil, Managing Editor

Indie sensation Sloan Struble, known on stage as Dayglow, charms with his third album, People In Motion. Struble, a former UT student, returns with an album similar to his two first two projects, incorporating the same lively pop sound the 23-year-old formed his brand around.

The album’s opening track, “Second Nature,” wows with new dimensions of sound and humorous, distorted vocal elements. The track may trick the listener into thinking the rest of the album will break from the typical indie sound, but nay, the rest of the album unfolds rather predictably.

Still, Struble sticks to his proven strong suit — bedroom pop to serve as background track for a daily walk around campus. However, the charm of bedroom pop dissolves slightly when he isn’t a college student literally writing in his dorm anymore. 

Struble’s charismatic lyricism makes up for it, though, by capturing relatable themes of love in “Someone Else,” a career highlight track that showcases the artist’s strong lyricism. “Radio,” even with its simplistic lyrics, tells a touching story, showcasing Struble’s growth as a writer since his sophomore album. The line which references the album’s title, “we’re all just people in motion,” though speaking about isolation, connects the listener to the artist with hauntingly relatable, accessible language. The charismatic lyricist weaves words and instrumentals, creating a song that whisks readers into his well-constructed world, which he makes feel familiar by delivering themes of love and isolation. 

Littered with ear worms that stick around past the end of the track, People in Motion makes for an enjoyable listen but fails to innovate or top the glamour and influence of Dayglow’s previous two albums.

3 radios out of 4