Big 12 Power Rankings – Week 7

Evan Vieth, Sports Reporter

1) TCU

Despite not being the highest-ranked Big 12 team in the AP poll, TCU fully deserves its current spot as the best team in the conference. TCU boasts a top-three offense in the country, only behind top 10 teams Ohio State and Tennessee. The Horned Frogs are led by quarterback Max Duggan, who leads the Big 12 with an impressive 194.35 passing efficiency.

2) Oklahoma State

Oklahoma State, though the higher-ranked team in the AP Poll, comes in as the second-best team in the Big 12. The Cowboys are very similar to the Horned Frogs, both with top 5 offenses in the country and adequate defenses that allow them to dominate the offensive side of the ball. 

3) Texas

When fully healthy, the Longhorns have one of the best teams on paper in the country, yet their two losses, one being against unranked Texas Tech, stand out when comparing them to other front-runners. With the return of Quinn Ewers in Texas’ demolition of Oklahoma, Steve Sarkisian’s team could very well be one of the best in the Big 12. 

4) Kansas State

Record-wise, Kansas State currently sits at the top of the Big 12 with a 3-0 record in conference play. Kansas State features one of the most explosive rushing attacks in the country, led by transfer quarterback Adrian Martinez and star running back Deuce Vaughn. Vaughn is seventh in the country in rushing yards, good enough for best in the Big 12, and Martinez’s nine touchdowns from scrimmage are tied for fourth in the country. 

5) Kansas

The biggest surprise of the 2022 CFB season is the emergence of the Kansas Jayhawks. This year is the first time the Jayhawks are ranked since 2008, and although the program has struggled, Kansas looks to be a serious contender in the Big 12. Kansas is tied with Texas in scoring offense, putting up nearly 39 points a game.

6) Baylor

Baylor was a preseason Top 10 team, but after two losses it dropped out of the top 25. Baylor is 1-1 on the year in Big 12 play, falling to Oklahoma State in week five after previously beating Iowa State the week before. Baylor still has plenty of talent on their roster, but early season struggles have caused a drop into the bottom half of the Big 12.

7) Texas Tech

Texas Tech is one of the most polarizing teams in the Big 12. It has one of the hardest schedules of any team this year, playing three ranked Big 12 teams and another two ranked out-of-conference opponents. The Red Raiders are only 3-3 on the year, but a statement home win against the ranked Texas Longhorns gives them some credit over the teams beneath them. 

8) West Virginia

West Virginia is the best of the teams that has yet to win a game in the Big 12. It lost early in the season against then-No. 17 Pitt and Kansas but won two straight games after. The Mountaineers had a poor showing against the Longhorns two weeks ago, and there’s not much to look forward to in Morgantown.

9) Iowa State

Iowa State started the year extremely hot after winning three straight games, including one over out-of-conference rival Iowa. But Iowa State dropped three straight Big 12 matchups and only scored 20 points in its last two matchups against Kansas and Kansas State.

10) Oklahoma

The preseason Big 12 title favorites Oklahoma Sooners are hitting rock bottom. Oklahoma started the season 3-0, but was quickly handed three straight losses. In every single one of these losses, the Sooners gave up over 40 points. Brett Venables’ team was shut out by Texas for the first time in the 21st century. This year has been disastrous for Oklahoma, and things may get worse before they get better.