Lucky Daye wins audience with charismatic stage presence, stunning vocals

Peyton Sims

Artist Lucky Daye performs at Austin City Limits on Oct. 14, 2022.

Reya Mosby, Life & Arts Editor

The sunset painted a cotton candy sky as singer-songwriter Lucky Daye took to the Barton Springs Stage for his 7 p.m. set. Beams of colorful light protruded out of a misty fog that coated the stage, all while Lucky Daye’s smooth falsetto floated into the air.

Fresh off his U.K. and Europe tour, Lucky Daye’s Austin appearance marks his return to the United States, something he frequently discussed with the audience. The singer remarked, “Austin, y’all feel like home,” setting the stage for a sentimental performance built on mutual affection between Lucky Daye and his crowd. 

However, Lucky Daye didn’t even need to compliment the audience to gain their love — he naturally drew it. Throughout his set, Lucky Daye pulled off an effortless charm. With his suave mannerisms and dance moves, his genuine excitement about the music and his confidence as he sauntered across the stage, Lucky Daye presented an utterly charismatic performance. 

As for vocals, Lucky Daye delivered a beyond impressive set. Drifting from a sweet, silky romantic falsetto to an emotionally charged belt, Lucky Daye took the audience on a rollercoaster with his voice alone. On songs like “Feels Like,” Lucky Daye showcased his breathtaking lighter register, staying in a warm, passionate falsetto for the entirety of the song without showing any signs of vocal strain, just giving the audience a glimpse into his musical ability. Notably, Lucky Daye showcased his vocal agility with several flawless, intricate riffs. He also rounded off his impressive musicality by smoothly transitioning from a soulful R&B sound to smooth rap verses. 

Lucky Daye’s performance on “Intro,” which transitioned into “God Body,” made for one of the most standout moments in the show. With a raw and intimate spoken word piece atop a spacey instrumental, the declaration of love stunned the crowd to silence until the opening notes of “God Body” drifted into Zilker Park.   

During the evening performance, Lucky Daye pleased crowds with old and new hits alike. Taking audiences through romantic highs and lows in his vulnerable and honest music while interacting with the crowd earnestly, the singer created an extremely sentimental show for his return to the U.S. With the perfect mix of upbeat hip-hop tracks and emotional R&B ballads, Lucky Daye’s hourlong ACL set made for an all-around great performance.