Notes from the Opponent – TCU

Hunter Dworaczyk, Senior Sports Reporter

Ahead of No. 18 Texas’ matchup against No. 4 TCU, the Daily Texan spoke with Charles Baggarly, the sports editor of the school’s paper, TCU 360. 

The Daily Texan: With a 9-0 record and the No. 4 overall ranking, how would you describe the hype around the TCU program right now?

Charles Baggarly: I would say the hype has never been higher while I have been on campus. Compared to other big schools, TCU is very small, so it creates a tight-knit, family-like environment. Everyone in the community is rallying behind TCU football. It’s the story of Fort Worth.

DT: How would you describe TCU head coach Sonny Dykes’ personality as a coach?

CB: He’s very calm. I know at some points he can get upset at officiating, but all coaches do that. I guess it’s easy to talk about not getting upset when the team is 9-0. But from the small sample size I have seen, he’s just very composed.

DT: TCU currently leads the Big 12 in points and yards per game. What makes the offense so dangerous?

CB: The one thing that makes TCU’s offense really dangerous is the big play ability. TCU has a lot of players that can notch a 30-yard reception or run. That really separates TCU from the rest of the field. 

DT: Why is TCU so effective in the second half when it has to play from behind?

CB: TCU takes it one play at a time. It’s a credit to the team’s mentality. The players have repeatedly said in interviews that the reason why they’re confident playing from behind is because they put the work in to get to that level.

DT: Where is TCU mentally as it gets ready to see former head coach Gary Patterson?

CB: The coaches and players wouldn’t say that this matchup means more because they’re facing him, but Patterson is the guy who recruited a lot of these players. He’s the guy who put TCU on the map, so this matchup is especially important for the fans because of his long history of success at TCU.

DT: Do you have any predictions on how the game will sort of play out or is there anything you’re specifically looking at for this game?

CB: The big thing to look forward to is whether or not TCU receiver Quentin Johnston will play. He’s the glue of the TCU offense. Facing a team like Texas on the road with 100,000 people in the stadium is not an easy environment to walk out with the win. If Johnston does not play, that’ll be a tough ask. But it’ll be a fun and close one.