UT-affiliated institutions should embrace Dell Scholars programs

Mihir Gokhale, Columnist

Editor’s note: A previous version of this column incorrectly stated that the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation has supported nearly 5,000 scholars and 2,000 college graduates, but it has been updated to reflect the correct numbers. The Texan regrets this error. 

Knowledge is power. 

Established in January 2020, the UT For Me – Powered by Dell Scholars aims to connect Pell Grant-eligible college students with generous educational assistance. The Michael and Susan Dell Foundation collectively supports nearly 7,000 UT students, of which 4,000 are Dell Scholars.

UT-affiliated institutions should embrace UT’s Dell Scholars program, which uplifts and assists students from lower-income backgrounds.

Of the 13 schools in the University of Texas System, UT is currently the only institution to implement such an all-inclusive project. While other UT schools offer different forms of financial support, the Dell Scholars initiative is far more tight-knit and comprehensive.

Among the program’s other resources, students receive a $20,000 scholarship, laptop, textbook credits and tailored mentorship. The program bolsters students’ access to an affordable and high-quality education. 

Roughly 25% of UT-Austin’s student body receives a Pell Grant. According to Sara Levy, portfolio director at the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, these Pell Grant recipients are also candidates for the UT For Me program. 

“When we started our program with UT-Austin, the six-year graduation rate was 73%,” Levy said. “Based on UT Austin’s latest data … 81% of low-income students graduate within six years, which is amazing. We are very aligned with what we wanted to achieve.” 

Other UT public universities should note the vast benefits of UT’s Dell Scholars program. The University’s partnership has successfully allowed many lower-income students to realize their scholastic dreams. 

“I think the resources that were provided to me by the program allowed me to … focus more on my schoolwork … and provided me peace of mind,” psychology freshman Isa Balderas said. “I found this (program) to be immensely helpful and … it made college less scary in many ways with the financial help (and) social help. The Dell Scholars program … creates a sense of community.” 

Critics may point out issues in funding for implementing Dell Scholars programs statewide. However, according to the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation’s website, their impact-investing approach is always looking to expand to schools and education organizations — particularly in Texas. Furthermore, the University Innovation Alliance — a grantee of the Foundation — seeks to standardize outreach across public university systems. 

“UT-Austin was (actually) a founding member of the University Innovation Alliance,” Levy said. (But right now), we are really focused on getting the outcomes of (UT For Me) … before we can think about scale. We 100% would see (UT For Me as) really being the model that other institutions (can emulate).” 

UT-affiliated schools should follow suit and build strategic relationships with the Dell Foundation. As the flagship school in the University of Texas System, UT could encourage and assist these institutions in facilitating partnerships. Driven, lower-income students across the University of Texas System deserve their own UT For Me programs.

A college education opens doors to successful and fulfilling opportunities. UT’s Dell Scholars program increases students’ exposure to this vital asset. By expanding the Dell Scholars program throughout the University of Texas System, institutions beyond UT can embrace a new generation of underprivileged learners. 

As Levy said, “Student outcomes are number one.” 

Gokhale is an undeclared business freshman from Allen, Texas.