UHD offers English classes to employees to support community, advance careers

Isabella Zeff, General News Reporter

It’s not just students who take classes at UT. University Housing and Dining now offers ESL, or “English as a Second Language,” classes to all of their employees to help further their communication skills in their work and personal lives and to advance their careers.

UHD began offering the classes in collaboration with the English Language Center at Texas Global in 2017. The center also offered classes to custodial staff in Facilities Services for the first time in the fall 2022 semester, but Craig Murray, operational support manager in Custodial Services, said in an email that funding to continue classes for custodial staff this semester has not been approved yet.

The classes are usually one or two days a week, with up to 20 employees attending the classes each semester, according to Jennifer McClain, associate director for employee training, development and engagement with UHD.

Building attendant Hilaria Galicia has participated in classes since before Texas Global took over the program.

“When I started here (at UT), I spoke nothing in English,” Galicia said. “(Now), it’s not 100% but maybe at 70%.”

ESL instructor Will Slade said several employees gained promotions within UHD using skills from the class.

“I try to customize (the classes) to what the students want and need,” Slade said. “Some semesters, the students may have more spoken English and really want to work on their professional email or their interview skills.”

Before taking the classes, Galicia said she often didn’t know how to communicate with students and answer their questions.

“Now, I can answer anything,” Galicia said. “Sometimes I don’t understand, but I (say), ‘Can you tell me a different way?’”

Galicia said she encourages all of her co-workers to take the classes too. Even if Galicia learns just “one or two words a day or a week,” she said the classes help her implement new vocabulary.

“The people who are participating in this are very dedicated,” McClain said. “They’re very excited about being able to participate in this class (and) they’re really proud of the progress that they’ve made.”

Galicia said the ESL classes not only help her at work, but also in her personal life, especially when she’s shopping or running errands.

“(The classes) are the best thing in my life,” Galicia said.